Placing kettle into worktop

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Placing kettle into worktop

Postby such » 24 May 2010, 16:20

I am making a cooking workarea and will be sinking my two kettles into a worktop of some sort to give me some workspace.

Can I use ordinary kitchen worktop - would this burn around where the kettle is sunk in?
Also, if suitable, is there any heat protection that I can place around the cutouts to help shield the worktop?

Any other suitable materials i can use?

Thanks
such
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Placing kettle into worktop

Postby All Weather Griller » 24 May 2010, 17:43

On the Kettle front I'm not 100% sure you wouldn't get some scorching, however I know weber are now selling there side tables as extras.
All Weather Griller

Postby Steve » 24 May 2010, 21:04

Not a cheap solution but I'd look at dropping a granite inlay in to mount the kettles in. it will shield the work top.

If this is for an outdoor cooking area you're going to need to use something that's exterior grade or it could warp when it's exposed to the rain. A typical melamine faced chipboard worktop wouldn't last a winter.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby such » 24 May 2010, 21:35

Thanks, I'll look for something that can take our cold winters and hotish summers. It will be covered when not in use.
such
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 24 May 2010, 21:56

I just know water/damp will penetrate chipboard and bloat it. A solid wood worktop would need to be treated to stop warping too. I'm no expert on this but be careful as you wouldn't want to put all that work in for it to get ruined by our crappy weather.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby such » 24 May 2010, 22:29

how about if the surface was tiled?
such
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 24 May 2010, 23:22

I used to rent a house that had this crazy outdoor BBQ area all done in blue and white tiles and it was ancient but still in perfect condition. I think it was built out of a concrete slab across a brick base and then tiled.

I'm not sure about tiling a piece of worktop if it's made out of chipboard/mdf. But if you used treated hardwood it should be ok. If it was me, I'd keep my eye out for some reclaimed marble or granite and use that or even some big stone slabs. Have you seen the table Jamie Oliver has in front of his wood burning oven, that's topped with stone.

A good session on Google should help you find out a bit more.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby such » 25 May 2010, 11:15

thanks, I'll have a hunt around and post some pic's once I get started
such
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby such » 25 May 2010, 21:00

Had a think and I would like to hang a suitable work surface from a couple of concrete posts, with a chain on either end of the worksurface. The back end would be resting on a batten secured to the posts, and screwed to it. Hoping it looks like a floating cookzone.

Looks like solid wood would be the best bet.
Any ideas which would be the most suitable wood - oak, beech, etc?
such
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby such » 01 Jul 2012, 17:04

Finally done it in the end using as couple of sheets of outdoor ply and wrapped in vinyl. has held up well with no melting or burns for 3 large cooking stints with all 3 bbqs on the go. A 57 and 47cm weber plus a kingsford grill around 8yrs old now bought from good old costco!

Apologies for the dodgy pic was taken on my bberry
such
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Barbecue Reviews