US Gas Turkey Fryer - How do I convert to UK Gas

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

US Gas Turkey Fryer - How do I convert to UK Gas

Postby wtibbets » 18 Nov 2011, 14:25

I just moved here from the US and want to deep fry a turkey for the holidays. I cannot find a deep fryer big enough in the UK, so am considering having one shipped from the US. I already purchased a UK BBQ grill and now have the gas cannister. However, the connector for the US Deep Fryer will not fit the UK gas cannister. Is it an easy conversion, meaning easy to find some sort of converter at the local B&Q. I am just looking for advice and info before I purchase one, have it shipped, then determine I cannot convert it once it gets here. Thanks for the help.
wtibbets
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: US Gas Turkey Fryer - How do I convert to UK Gas

Postby British BBQ Society » 18 Nov 2011, 17:12

Deep frying turkeys scares the hell out of me but i assume you will just need a different regulator which you will be able to pick in most DIY stores, if not search for your local calor gas centre.
Cheers
Toby
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby chokethechicken » 23 Nov 2011, 20:12

I was actually talking about deep frying a turkey with someone the other day - something they had sampled on a visit to the States. They raved how lovely it was.

I did a bit of research earlier today and read this rather amusing article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1339593/Deep-fried-turkey-The-scariest-way-cook-festive-bird.html

As for a fryer all I managed to find was:

http://www.limitedgoods.com/itemView.php?ProdID=1051313&source=FroogleUK&medium=free&campaign=FroogleUK_InStock

91 readies plus a cockle for shipping.
chokethechicken
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 24 Nov 2011, 06:25

On one of Jamie Oliver's "How to do Christmas" shows he shows various ways to cook turkey including Deep Frying, from memory it seemed like he had a large stockpot type pan on a heavy duty gas burner rather than a purpose built thing.

I also watched the Network Food Challange Thanksgiving competition where 2 teams out of 4 deep fried their turkey 8-) The better bird (IMHO) came from a longer but lower temp than the team who cooked it at a slightly higher temp for a shorter time.

Low n Slow (ish) rules again.
keith157

Postby glenn2 » 25 Nov 2011, 22:59

i have to say he looks very happy with him self unlike his wife in the last photo :D
glenn2
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 26 Nov 2011, 15:15

glenn2 wrote:i have to say he looks very happy with him self unlike his wife in the last photo :D

Maybe she's thinking of how to get the fat splashes out of his Romper suit :lol:
keith157

Postby ToonarmY » 13 May 2016, 10:15

Hi sorry to resurrect an old thread. I am currently doing a horizontal smoker conversion and trying to find a turkey fryer burner in the UK. Did you ever manage to source one and sort the regulator??
ToonarmY
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to Barbecue Reviews