Steak (and Chicken) Fajitas

Good old British Beef, you can't beat it! Of course Brisket is the American BBQ favorite but recipes for any cut are welcome here.

Re: Steak (and Chicken) Fajitas

Postby joker smoker » 06 Sep 2011, 15:28

what we're starting to see now especially from the food trucks appears to be a kind of ''gourmet taco'' aimed at a more affluent white market . The tacos That are available in the taquerias of the Mexican neighbourhoods in houston tend to be be a lot mre basic and cost about $1.25 rather than $2.50- $3.00. I would agree that enchilladas should only be made with corn tortillas though i see many UK type {Tex}-Mexican restaurants using flour. Cool Chile company in London sell some pretty good fresh corn tortillas if you're in the area but stay well clear of the El Paso variety in the supermarkets. I always have in stock the regular corn tortillas that need dredging through oil before use as tacos but work well for flautas, taquitos and fresh fried nachos. Another pet hate of mine is the nachos with melted cheese on top...what an ugly mess. Corn chips should never come from a packet. Always be frshly fried and seved with chilli con queso and salsa on the side! Rant over.

Signed ...El Bandito Loco :D
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby clairbare » 06 Sep 2011, 15:32

I quite like nachos with melted cheese, he old el paso ones from tesco - BUT, i am always open for trying new/better ones :D
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby chwalters » 06 Sep 2011, 15:35

Sorry this diverged from a thread about BBQ'ing the fajita filling's - but I love Mexican (Tex-Mex!) food too so happy to talk about this all damn day :-)

I have made corn tortilla's at home but I can't get them to work without using about 25-30% wheat flour mixed in, I just don't have the skillz :-) But they do taste pretty good when you can make 'em fresh. Just wish I could do it properly, sigh.
chwalters
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby joker smoker » 06 Sep 2011, 15:50

Its no problem. I love this food too which is whyI can be bothered to correspond even with my pathetically slow typing. To obtain the correct masa harina for tortillas is not easy and without a press even harder. home made flour tortillas are much easier and worth the effort especially if yo use lard. As i say look out for cool chile company's fresh corn tortillas [made daily].PS Here is the history of the fajita.....http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/ ... istory.htm
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby chwalters » 06 Sep 2011, 16:03

I got the masa from the Cool Chile company and I have a press. I still can't make them very well!

Thanks for the link. It is such a great cuisine with a rich history.

Look forward to hearing someday about the differences between Mexican and Spanish chorizo, maybe you can enlighten me. I know there are differences but I can't explain it. I love BBQ'd chorizo, but to me the Spanish ones are just not quite right somehow! Where can I get proper Mexican style chorizo in the UK, if I can I'm leaving now I'll get my keys!
chwalters
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby joker smoker » 06 Sep 2011, 19:47

I will post recipe for Mexican chorizo soon. It is often sold loose like mince but once again well worth trying to make and not too dificult. there is some good home made colombian chorizo available on Brixton market as well as wonderful queso fresco if you're ever in South london
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Previous

Return to Beef