Sous vide cooking

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Sous vide cooking

Postby GingerBen » 05 Jan 2016, 10:51

Hi all and happy new year. Hopefully Santa bought everybody the goodies they wanted to smoke and grill their way through the miserable winter months.

Personally I was lucky enough to get a sous vide machine (cheap one from Lidl) so I'm really looking forward to trying it out and combining it with the GMG smoker to create some interesting things. First one to try is a hoisin marinated pork fillet which I'll cook sous vide then finish on the GMG at a high temp to get some color and bit of smoke flavour on to it.

Will keep you posted with my successes/failures!

Oh and for those that saw my post about the rib eye for christmas being cooked on the smoker it was amazing! Cooked it at 225f until IT hit 125 then pulled and rested until IT stopped rising and started to drop - it got to 129f so was a perfect medium rare. Took about two and a half hours to cook in total excluding resting time which was about 35 mins or so iirc.
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Sous vide cooking

Postby Toby » 04 Feb 2016, 09:00

there has been a lot of talk on Sous Vide recently, would be good to know how its going and what times you are using
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby essexsmoker » 04 Feb 2016, 09:58

Glad the rib roast went well!

I've been looking at sous vide too. Very interesting idea.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 04 Feb 2016, 10:11

I'd be interested to know how well the meat takes the smoke after being cooked sous vide first....did you get a smoke ring?
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby GingerBen » 04 Feb 2016, 10:16

Hey all,

I've done a few successful cooks just using the SV and not incorporating the grill just so I can get a feel for using one at a time. I have however done steaks in the SV and then seared them off on the grill and that works really well.

Approximate cooking time for a normal supermarket size ribeye is from 60-90 mins in the SV then a few mins on the grill. The food is excellent, very moist and the flavours of any rub you use are enhanced as the vacuum sealing seems to really force them in to the food. It's easy to over salt though as salt really comes out strong on SV food.

I'll be doing some more stuff soon so will post my results. Also going to be dry aging some beef at home soon and then cutting that in to steaks to SV and finish on the grill so will do a post on that
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby GingerBen » 04 Feb 2016, 10:17

BraaiMeesterWannabe wrote:I'd be interested to know how well the meat takes the smoke after being cooked sous vide first....did you get a smoke ring?

If doing something chunky like beef ribs you can smoke them first and then cook SV to make them tender. Beef ribs take anything from 12-48 hours though so I haven't tried it yet!
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 04 Feb 2016, 11:27

Hmmm, boil in the bag eh? We as an collective have regularly wrung our hands and torn garments in frustration at high street chains that produce there pp from vac sealed bags warmed through, is sous vied not the same? from what I can work out it is as simple as vac seal it in the bag and then leave for a prolonged time but you cant overcook, I guess if it delivers tasty results then what is the harm but it doesn't seem right to me......Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 04 Feb 2016, 13:28

It does strike me as only a small step better than microwaving first....but I then I am a bit of a knuckle dragging troglodyte when it comes to fire and braaivleis so what do I know :lol:
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby GingerBen » 05 Feb 2016, 09:51

The process is simple yes but the point of doing it isn't convenience given it takes much longer to cook anything SV than by another method. The point of it is to enhance flavour and texture by cooking things without any moisture or flavour loss. I'm a general foodie not just a BBQ fan so to me it's another interesting way of making good food than I can combine with BBQ to make tasty results.

As for reheating pulled pork boil in the bag style it's actually a great way to reheat leftover pp at home lol. I wouldn't be eating it in a restaurant though!
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Mj2k » 23 Feb 2016, 19:17

Love my SV and a few good apps about for timings etc.

Perfect steaks, every time, even colour all the way through & hard to feck up.

Good 1.5inch sirloin a from the butcher, freezer for 20 mins to drop temperature & then sear upfront for a great colour. Cool & leave open in fridge / freezer to dry out a little on the surface, then vacuum seal.

Few hours, and then a final dry off in a hot skillet. Perfection.

I've played with pre, post and both pre & post sear and think the combo is the best one. If you don't get the steak cold before searing, you can end up with too much colour change beyond just the outer edge - especially with supermarket thin steaks. I've also tried the blowtorch sear with a plumbers scale torch, don't bother it's not the same as a proper sear.

Have a look on team chef steps on the poached egg consistency, amazing what temperature can do to the texture!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Mj2k
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Anything Butt