GMG DB grate temp question/issue

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Re: GMG DB grate temp question/issue

Postby Tiny » 25 Jul 2015, 08:18

Do have a minor deviation probe end cooler than the chimney end, have both deflectors fitted but it doesn't seem to make much difference at all am still delighted every time I use it, Potkjie full of chilli in it today.....

Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Vibe » 25 Jul 2015, 10:07

Woke up at 6:30 to get ready for pork butt to go on at 7am. So it's been on for 4 hours.

Temp differences are still massive, though constantly countering and it's not as stable as i'd like to be happy with it.

For this cook I put left wind shield on the right (away from the heat deflector) and the right on on the left as per previous post.

At 150F for first hour on controller and using a maverick either side of the pork butt as per picture. I cannot remember the temp differences at this point - don't know how I managed to forget so soon! But I *think* it was around 180F

Then for 2nd hour I increased to 180F on controller and was getting upto 250F top right.

Any ways so now it's at 215 on the controller and it's just swung down to 200 bottom left and 215 top right - which sounds amazing - but this has just happened. It was more stable earlier at 250 bottom left and 280 top right which puts it at +65F and that's near'ish the centre of the grill!

As I'm typing this the temps are rising again back to what I was getting before - ok maybe not - 327F top right and 240F bottom left....that's a massive difference considering the probes aren't exactly at opposite ends of the grill!

Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Vibe » 25 Jul 2015, 10:23

It's just sung down to 149F bottom left and 162F top right. This is on 215F controller temp still.

As a note - I have not been opening the lid except once to turn it around after 3 hours and the 2nd time to take a picture - so that's 2 times in 4 hours.
Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby tommo666 » 25 Jul 2015, 11:50

pelletheads dot com is dedicated to pellet grills and cooking. There is a GMG board and many discussions on temp swings. Worth a read.
tommo666
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Previous

Return to Anything Butt