Question for GMG/Pellet grill owners

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Question for GMG/Pellet grill owners

Postby JamsCowbell » 16 Jul 2015, 09:48

Do you have your GMG grill under some sort of shelter when it's running? I am thinking of getting one, my Weber BBQs sit with their covers on when not in use and I've had it rain on my WSM a few times while in use, but with the GMG grills being electric I assume they wouldn't react well to being rained on when in use?
JamsCowbell
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Question for GMG/Pellet grill owners

Postby tommo666 » 16 Jul 2015, 12:51

My GMG is under a cover but not a very efficient one. It still gets wet but i've had any electrical issues. A bigger problem in our damp climate is leaving pellets in the grill for any length of time. They can suck moisture out of the air and jam the auger tube. It sets like concrete. Happened to me once so far.
tommo666
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Vibe » 16 Jul 2015, 13:22

So scoop out any unused pellets after the fan shutdown?
Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby tommo666 » 16 Jul 2015, 15:31

Vibe wrote:So scoop out any unused pellets after the fan shutdown?

Yeah, i should do that but i tend to use it a lot so i leave it.I'll start running it out in the autumn.
tommo666
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Tiny » 16 Jul 2015, 21:18

Old chum,
No risk of operating the beast in inclement conditions, the actual elastic trickery is deep in the bowels of the beast and I have an outdoor socket fitted. As the lads say it is the wood chips you have to be careful of, I use it 3-4 times a week at the moment so not a problem but as the weather closes in I may have to be more circumspect.....

cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Chris__M » 18 Jul 2015, 01:05

I did build a shelter for my Traeger, when I first got it. This picture is from 2011:

I've since added a GMG Davy Crockett to the collection, which won't fit alongside the Traeger, so it is where those chairs are, so in the open. However, the power sockets I am using are still covered (they are proper external sockets with RSD, but I am happier that they are under cover as well).

I've had the GMG since December, and it doesn't seem to have suffered at all. I have a cover for it, but to be honest, I don't always bother to put it away properly.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Loopbook » 18 Jul 2015, 07:50

How do you get the remaining pellets out of the auger tube once the hopper is empty though?
Loopbook
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Chris__M » 18 Jul 2015, 11:53

Loopbook wrote:How do you get the remaining pellets out of the auger tube once the hopper is empty though?

Scoop pellets out of hopper, then run it until all the pellets in the tube are moved into the burn pot.

It means you wasted the pellets in the auger, but as this tends to be only something you do when putting the grill away for the winter*, it's not that biggie.

*Of course, some of us don't bother, as we grill all the year round.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JBBQ » 20 Jul 2015, 10:12

Min is coming up on 2 years old - when not running it is just under its cover, if its running and looks like rain I have built a fold out shelter as I was using an umbrella and clamp before!
https://goo.gl/photos/LLPq6uEanwzP3KQ76

I never take out the excess pellets from the hopper or the pot; its ready to go and frequently in use!
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JamsCowbell » 20 Jul 2015, 12:47

Thanks chaps, I'm seriously considering a GMG grill but I was concerned I would also need some sort of shelter but from your replies it looks like i can pretty much treat it like I do my WSM and Performer. That's good news!

I saw a 4 ring gas hotplate at the weekend when I took the Missus to get a Cadac Carri Chef for camping.... I thought about changing my charcoal BBQs for the pellet grill and hot plate. Or maybe just get the pellet grill, get the hotplate, lose the WSM, keep the performer and the charcoal tandoor.... Or just keep everything because a man can never have too many BBQs....
JamsCowbell
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Anything Butt