The Great Galvanised Debate

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Re: The Great Galvanised Debate

Postby wade » 25 May 2015, 09:39

Kiska95 wrote:Hi Wade,

Just paste this into your browser and it comes up as a PDF http://standards.nsf.org/apps/group_pub ... .php/3941/

Just says "resource not found" for me

Kiska95 wrote:I think we can concur that you don't want Galvanized metal on any food surfaces whether the food or the baste is acidic or not, its just not worth the chance. I think we can also concur that at the temperatures for cold smoking and low and slow BBQing the boiling point of the zinc wont be reached and so is not technically going to be a hazard but for myself I still stay clear.

Yes it will technically not be a problem but I too avoid using Zinc. I do have concerns though when some get paranoid and warn of doom and imminent death when others have used the odd galvanised nut and bolt. I know you are not doing this but some people do have a tendency to.

Kiska95 wrote:However the BBQ shown and mentioned is Galvanised inside and out as is the nature of the process "Dipping". But by its nature Charcoal and wood ash is Alkaline so no problem you would think. My worry is that the temperatures reached on Hot Grilling "may" cause sickness. So if you value your health and that of your friends is it worth taking the chance of being wrong?. So for me Food, Heat and Galvany products don't mix.... NOOOOOO!!!!!"

By the way the guy on EBay must be from a different planet, its the worst DIY job I have seen and he wants £230 quid????

Agree totally about the BBQ on ebay. Unfortunately some people are likely to be tempted by it !
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kiska95 » 25 May 2015, 09:52

Strange that.

PM me with your email and I will try and get the PDF to you.

I try to use Stainless steel for bolts etc. as they are pennies to buy but I have the odd bright Zinc washer on my UDS shelf bolts! God help me!!!! :D I understand about the paranoia, it does my head in for the sake of a bit common sense and research. There's more safety issues with the inappropriate use of BBQ lighter fuel!!!!
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby wade » 27 May 2015, 09:09

Thanks for the document Brian. It was very interesting and have added it into my folder of useful reference material.

Unfortunately it still only supports what was said in the other reference - that only areas that are direct contact with food - or where food may splash and then drip back onto the food - should not be galvanised. This would of course mean the cooking grate and would also rule out the BBQ in the link that you posted as the whole of the inside of the cooking chamber was galvanised. I have still not seen any evidence that it should not be used in non-food-contact areas of the smoker.

Regarding its safety for use in, say, the fire basket, it would be useful so see if anyone has measured any zinc present in the cooking gasses. This would obviously need to be considered along side the traces of zinc that are naturally in the smoke from the burning wood and the naturally occurring zinc in the food itself. For example chicken breast naturally contains 1mg/100g (100 Ppm) zinc and venison and veal are both around 8mg/100g (80 Ppm) zinc. We would want to know in what form the zinc would be in (condensed zinc metal or in the form of zinc oxides) if any detectable amounts were to be deposited on the food.

So far I cannot find anyone who has actually looked at any of this - but I will continue to search.
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kiska95 » 27 May 2015, 10:12

Hi Wade

bit more info.

Hazards of Food Preservatives

Smoked and cured meats contain high quantities of nitrites which should not come into contact with galvanised steel as they can cause corrosion and formation of zinc salts. These products also contain high concentrations of salt, which can react with the zinc coating on galvanised steel. Grapes that have been treated with preservatives, such as sulphur dioxide, for longer shelf life, should not be exposed to galvanised steel.
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby thestraycat » 24 Jun 2015, 14:37

I'm currently looking at builing a coal basket with a a thick piece of expanded steel that i've found in my garden...

a) I take it it's not safe to use without knowing it's origins and the fact it might be galvanized?

b) Is there an easy test to determine whether it is galvanized?
thestraycat
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby aris » 24 Jun 2015, 14:47

Has it rusted? Typically galvanized steel doesn't rust.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby thestraycat » 24 Jun 2015, 16:01

Hmm it looks a little ropey - I'll take a snap tonight...
thestraycat
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Previous

Return to Anything Butt