New toys to go with the Traeger.

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

New toys to go with the Traeger.

Postby Chris__M » 24 Oct 2010, 02:36

Following my cook the other week, where I was concerned about low temperatures, I have followed advice read in various topics here, and bought both a Maverick ET-73 and a Welding blanket.

I've been away from home, and otherwise a bit busy, but on Friday, I lit up to see what temperatures the Maverick showed, with and without blanket on the various settings.

I have no idea what happened during the previous cook, but everything seems fine now, and it was interesting to see how the blanket affected the cooker temperature in the relatively cold weather, especially when on smoke. I'm now relatively happy with what I am doing, and with general temperature control.

The aim of the session was to play with the Traeger, and not to cook, but it seemed a shame to waste the heat. I happened to have some sweet potatoes in my veg rack, so I cut them into wedges, and dipped them in olive oil, then a mixture of sea salt, brown sugar and paprika. I gave them 35 minutes on high, and they were wonderful.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: New toys to go with the Traeger.

Postby lakemirror » 24 Oct 2010, 05:01

Chris__M wrote:I happened to have some sweet potatoes in my veg rack, so I cut them into wedges, and dipped them in olive oil, then a mixture of sea salt, brown sugar and paprika. I gave them 35 minutes on high, and they were wonderful.

This = good

Sweet potatoes ("yams" in the southern US) are a much ignored veg but are both delish and extraordinarily healthy. I'll dig up my family's recipe for mashed yams with orange and post it soon....it is a staple at our Thanksgiving meal every year.
lakemirror
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby crsmoke070 » 27 Oct 2010, 12:44

Good to read you got a welding blanket. If you can get a couple of fire bricks to put in the bottom it will help with temp swings. You don't need many to help. The only downside to the bricks is it takes longer for the traeger to cool off. I just leave the front open for about 2-3 hours to cool off. That time depends on outside temp.

Chuck
crsmoke070
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby British BBQ Society » 27 Oct 2010, 15:16

Fire bricks in a treager is something i have never thought about, will def have to give it a go, thanks for the tip
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris__M » 27 Oct 2010, 18:23

The fire bricks idea makes sense to me, but I am going to give that a miss for now. My current cooking position is on the drive alongside my house, next to the kitchen door, which means the traeger is exposed - both to the elements and anyone walking past the house and looking up the drive.

As a result, I am currently garaging it once it has cooled sufficiently, so the longer cooling off time would be a bit of a pain. Also, it is heavy enough to move as it is, without bricks in it as well!

I have longer term plans for a small covered area alongside my garage, with a proper extermal power socket off of the garage's circuit (currently, I am simply throwing a lead out of the kitchen door). As well as sheltering the traeger, it will also be out of sight of the road, and I will be more happy with leaving it out most/all of the time.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby crsmoke070 » 28 Oct 2010, 13:49

I currently have 8 splits in the bottom of Lil Tex. BTW splits are fire bricks that are half the thickness and used to line the inside of some fireplaces. I live where we get very cold winters and very hot summers and the bricks and welding blankets have made a big difference in minimizing temp swings.

Chris__M - I am attaching this link to a thread on pelletheads.com but I am not sure if it will work. It is some ideas of what some people over here have done to make shelters for their smokers.

http://pelletheads.com/index.php?topic=5979.0
crsmoke070
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Chris__M » 28 Oct 2010, 23:28

crsmoke070 wrote:Chris__M - I am attaching this link to a thread on pelletheads.com but I am not sure if it will work. It is some ideas of what some people over here have done to make shelters for their smokers.

Yes, that worked - many thanks, it is very helpful

I have had various ideas so far about this, including a little garden bike store a bit like this:

(actually that one doesn't look deep enough, but I have seen one that would be suitable)

I also really like this item in B&Q. It looks like a garden arbor, but the seat folds up, to make room for a BBQ, and the two sides fold out to make two side tables. However, I do feel it would give little more than nominal shelter - from the rain above, perhaps, but not anything from the front or sides. A pretty piece of furniture, though.

One of the things that is holding me back a little is finding the right place in my little garden. My current cooking position is convenient, but not practical long term, which leaves two other possible pieces of hard standing. One is too near my uPVC conservatory for comfort (!), the other is along the side of the garage I mentioned. That currently has a pear tree growing against it, and it seems a shame to cut it down. However, it is actually totally in the wrong position for a fruit tree - north facing with no direct sun, and in the 10 years I have been in this house, I have only had a decent crop from it for in 3 of them. It doesn't help the decision that this year was one of them.

Edit: Actually, considering this, the bike shed idea might actually work alongside my kitchen door, where I am currently cooking, A small shed there won't look as weird as the BBQ standing there in full view of the road, and it is certainly conveniently placed to the kitchen. I know there is a power socket on the opposite side of the wall, so wiring in an external socket wouldn't be difficult.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby crsmoke070 » 29 Oct 2010, 11:15

I really like that BBQ Arbour from B&Q. But it sounds like the bicycle shed might work out better for your needs.

I just have my grills sitting on a patio with covers on them. I will hopefully be making something to cover my grills next year.

Good luck with your project.

Chuck
crsmoke070
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Chris__M » 03 Nov 2010, 18:24

Chris__M wrote:Actually, considering this, the bike shed idea might actually work alongside my kitchen door, where I am currently cooking, A small shed there won't look as weird as the BBQ standing there in full view of the road, and it is certainly conveniently placed to the kitchen. I know there is a power socket on the opposite side of the wall, so wiring in an external socket wouldn't be difficult.

I think I may have found what I want:

Rather than a bike shed, it is a log store. It is exactly the right size to go against my outside kitchen wall, adjacent to the kitchen door, and is plenty tall enough to enable the Traeger lid to be opened fully, and for it to be used without ducking. At 2'8", I think the roof should be deep enough to give a reasonable amount of shelter.

It doesn't have doors, but this actually sidesteps the problem of the shed doors opening out in front of my kitchen door! :D If I feel the Traeger needs covering in bad weather, it would be very easy to add fixings to hang a tarp over the front.

More than anything else, it is a piece of additional furniture that will make it look like the Traeger belongs there, rather than just happens to be standing outside on my drive. This may seem a trivial point, but it pleases me.

At 99 quid, it is decidely cheaper than anything else I have looked at.

What do folk think?
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby crsmoke070 » 04 Nov 2010, 16:51

I like it. It looks like it will fit in with room to spare. My only thought is that you might want to add some vent holes for smoke that os up in the roof area and maybe a rain gutter along the front so water doesn't run off the roof and down the back of your shirt. Also, the price is great. Good luck and post pics of when you have it set-up.

Chuck
crsmoke070
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Anything Butt