Pitt Cue Mother Sauce

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Pitt Cue Mother Sauce

Postby Ivycledus » 24 Sep 2014, 17:40

Recently picked up the Pitt Cue Co cookbook and tried a couple of recipes, including the chipotle ketchup after one of my friends gave me a pile of Jalapeños. Very good.

Has anyone made the mother sauce? Is it worth it? Do you think you could freeze it as the recipe makes 2.5 litres?
Cheers.
Ivycledus
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Pitt Cue Mother Sauce

Postby Stu_C » 29 Sep 2014, 14:44

Sounds good! I'll revisit this book and take a look. I'm really into Chipotle at the moment.
Stu_C
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby jackson » 24 Oct 2014, 13:14

If I remember correctly (I'll check the book later) it's a classic demi-glace.

A demi-glace is a thing of beauty but an utter faff unless you habitually have tons of beef scraps and veal bones kicking about.

However, Waitrose do a range of stuff by Heston Blumenthal including a beef jus... if you look at the ingredients its almost identical to the Pitt cue recipe.

They're so good we've been stockpiling them in the freezer for about a year.
jackson
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby jackson » 24 Oct 2014, 18:59

...yeah, it's totally not a classic demi-glace, I'll pipe down.

Before I do however, the jus thing from Waitrose tastes REMARKABLY like the stuff Pitt Cue give you on their bone-marrow mash. You should definitely try that if you haven't already, it will melt your face with amazeballs.
jackson
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby grin_phi » 04 Aug 2015, 20:48

Hi jackson et al

I'm really interested in this discussion and wonder if there have been any more findings.

I made Pitt Cue Mother Sauce once and it was definitely better than using basic bbq sauce but it is quite a challenge and hassle to make. Not sure I did it right either.

If the Heston/Waitrose jus is a good replacement, based on it tasting like the mother sauce served on the marrow mash, then this is very exciting to me. Has any one tested this any further? Is the consistency of the jus about right or would you modify it in any way?

Also, there is a Heston/Waitrose beef and veal demi-glace, I wonder if this would be more or less like the mother sauce than the beef jus. I'm far from an expert in these things.

All feedback appreciated.

Cheers, Phil
grin_phi
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Pompey Dinlo » 05 Aug 2015, 21:29

I've made the Pitt Cue barbecue sauce having made the chipotle ketchup and mother sauce first. The ketchup recipe calls for a ridiculous amount of chipotle which I presumed to be a typo, I reduced it drastically and it still had a healthy kick. The mother sauce was a labour of love and was reasonably expensive to buy cuts of beef that were going to end up discarded. The end result was nice enough but not worth the effort and expense as I don't believe you pick up on the depth of flavour once it's mixed in with some full flavoured brisket or pork.
Pompey Dinlo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 06 Aug 2015, 12:17

Sounds like a lot of faffing for what is essentially posh gravy. Lol. I'd go with beef stock from knorr or the waitrose thing.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Anything Butt