Birch Log Roast Salmon

Birch Log Roast Salmon

Postby SaySausages.com » 15 Jun 2013, 07:16

Image As an alternative to the Dirty style of cooking I’ve been using a lot recently, this style of cooking doesn't really benefit most fish, but plank roasting, and in this case Birch Log Roasting, works extremely well, protecting the fish from the direct heat but roasting and smoking it to perfection. I used a little sea salt and a pinch of BBQ seasoning, on the salmon fillets and placed them on a birch log that I’d rubbed with a little olive oil on the top to stop the fish sticking. I nestled the log in the coals on a medium hot BBQ, I used a Kamado Joe from Outdoor Gourmet which is ideal for this kind of cooking. With the lid closed the sweet birch smoke was able to penetrate the fish and cook it perfectly, it took about 10-12 minutes. The bottom of the log will char up and smoke, make sure you have some heavy duty oven gloves or tongs for removing the log. I served the salmon with a flower salad, and some herby couscous. Cheers Marcus  
SaySausages.com

Re: Birch Log Roast Salmon

Postby Gary Morris » 15 Jun 2013, 12:50

Hi Marcus, that looks delicious, I can smell the smoked salmon and it's making me dribble. Can you taste any of the Birch log in the salmon and did you serve it on the log? I think it would be like when you have a Ruby and they bring your food on a sizzler thingy.

Gary
Gary Morris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby derekmiller » 15 Jun 2013, 14:16

That does look nice, haven't done fish on the bbq for a long time.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Minesamojito » 17 Jun 2013, 19:09

Thanks guys, I bought it to the table on the log and then served on some couscous with salad. Looked impressive. The birch smoked the fish perfectly while keeping it moist. So yes it did give it lots of flavour.
Give it a go.
Cheers
Marcus
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Barbecue Blog