Barbecue Cookoff TV Show

All the latest from barbecue organisations/ organisers and manufactures in the UK, if anything has been missed fell free to chip in!

Re: Barbecue Cookoff TV Show

Postby beercan » 05 Aug 2015, 10:32

Im with tiny on the facebook comments having just read them some are very generalised and tough!

Im still holding out hope that it is going to get better its obvious there are people on there that know what their doing and they just need to rethink and work with that format.
I know the lad from Brixton said he had never cooked Lamb before but the one thing he did was use a variation on his jerk recipe which he knew works and adapted it to suit and thats what is needed

That grill of was tough your thrown a whole Salmon to fillet, pinbone and produce a side and sauce in 45minutes with the added pressure that if you screw up your gone. I know its for TV but why throw in all the other elements, give them prepped Salmon give them access to soaked planks if they want them. At least then people watching the show who dont bbq a lot might get some ideas and give it a go themselves.
I think thats where the frustration has come in for most of us in that this was an opportunity to show people that are limited in what they believe can be done on a bbq that they are wrong and there is so much more and even have a go themselves.

And have to say yes people did cook fish on the bbq it is allowed and you wont get shot for it.

The one small mercy was that at least the first to go was the right one. They repeatedly said these are 8 of the best and regardless of whether we think we could do better or did we apply or not to attempt ribs in that time and then look confused when hes told they are tough then produce sushi in the cook off does question their selection process.

At least that wasn't at the cost of someone that can BBQ and hopefully Emma will regroup and come back fighting
beercan
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby wade » 05 Aug 2015, 11:30

The ability to break down large meat joints and fillet fish was one of the sections of the interview. I am sure there will be a lot more of that as the series progresses.
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kiska95 » 05 Aug 2015, 12:00

Come on the presenters/Producers knew how long it takes to cook Salmon, surely that was what the cook off challenge was all about?????

I think they were looking to see if the entrants were going to faff about or just get it on the grill. Sure Salmon is a BBQ item and always will be (not salt crusted though) but you have to work with the tools around you when the pressure is on. So how long does it take to cut and cook a horse shoe salmon? Quick glaze mix brushed on as it cooks???? They were not cooking a whole sides so filleting and pin boning was a bit OTT and wasted a lot of time but were they told to do that, cant remember?

I am sure (hope) Cyder Pig (Steve) and Emma (the Swines) will come back strong and be in the final and get the £25K. We all have our opinions that's what a forum is all about but any nasty comments on Facebook is just WRONG!!!

Anyway the boy that got the boot looked like an amateur from minute one so he was good to go but did the producers choose entrants to fail as its better telly or so that the pros can win, just wondering.... looking forward to the next showing..............
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby beercan » 06 Aug 2015, 08:07

I totally agree there was an easy solution with the salmon but that wasnt the point I was trying to make.
Although I would say none of us can imagine what pressure that was especially the first show and nobody wants to be the first off and I bet anyones head would have been spinning at that point.
When they put out the pre show media etc one of the big points they were pushing was to try and show people that dont regularly bbq new ideas that they would then have a go at themselves.
The average person is going to go to the supermarket and buy salmon already prepped so why not give it to them like that and let them show what can be done with it. Even Richmond made the comment that you couldnt cook a whole salmon in that time.
Why not give them the tools they need and see what they do with them.
Lets say one of them had planked the salmon there would have been people viewing that had probably never seen that and would at least then give it a go.
I appreciate it is a competition but if they are trying to encourage more people to have a go have a small segment with tips and ideas in although hopefully that might come later as the numbers thin.
As daft as it sounds explain why a chimney starter and not firelighters or even the importance of a meat thermometer.
I appreciate we take these for granted but it would be nice to know that the show didnt just produce a winner but got people re thinking and realising what they can do.
beercan
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kiska95 » 06 Aug 2015, 11:08

Hi
I agree with your comments and would have been very surprised if I encountered the question Wade got! Can you break down a chunk of meat and fillet a Salmon. I can pal but No mate, why would you as anyone with any sense even if they bought a whole salmon (Morrison's an the like), they would ask the man to fillet and pin bone unless they are poaching the whole thing.

But here's the thing, the clue was in the questions asked in interview...................... I think most peoples gripes and annoyances is that on the face of it, it looks like 8 random people were plucked from the streets and plonked in front of a Q and told to just have a go. If you make a balls of it we will show you how to do it right in the critique but no it was "8 of the best" that's why it was so cringe worthy. Unless of course by the end of the 8 weeks miraculously (Production and Direction) BBQ stars are born ;)

Just on another note I can imagine the pressure as I am not a stranger to being in front of a camera and lights and let me assure you that in Pre-production you are very well prepped for what you have to do, not everything you see is "actual", there is lot of acting even in a reality show!!!!
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Resurrected » 06 Aug 2015, 19:59

Hi,

I've only just joined the forum and I'd consider myself pretty much a noob to bbq.

I've done the old hot coals on a cheap kettle one, burnt lots, undercooked chicken etc.

Then I read up and discovered low n slow, so bought a ProQ. Been having fun with it since June.

So, I was excited to see ITV having a programme about bbq and settled down to watch and learn. It left me cold (bit like that woman's grill and the guys chicken lol).

Now everyone on here appears to be experienced and I've seen comments that it may help get people into bbq. I have to say that unless the show improves I doubt that would be the case.

Now I know it's a TV show and thus has to entertain but what the heck is covering salmon in salt and sticking a rib bone in the air to make it look like a dinosaur (?) all about. I can't see that enticing anyone to try something new. They'll just stick to the good old sausage and Aldi burgers!

I've not given up yet and will watch the next episode but first impression is that the production team have got the format wrong.

Out of interest and with the assumption that there are some pro or semi-pro bbq people on here, did the production company approach anyone for advice?
Resurrected
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby smokewoodshack » 06 Aug 2015, 21:26

beercan wrote:I totally agree there was an easy solution with the salmon but that wasnt the point I was trying to make.
Although I would say none of us can imagine what pressure that was especially the first show and nobody wants to be the first off and I bet anyones head would have been spinning at that point.
When they put out the pre show media etc one of the big points they were pushing was to try and show people that dont regularly bbq new ideas that they would then have a go at themselves.
The average person is going to go to the supermarket and buy salmon already prepped so why not give it to them like that and let them show what can be done with it. Even Richmond made the comment that you couldnt cook a whole salmon in that time.
Why not give them the tools they need and see what they do with them.
Lets say one of them had planked the salmon there would have been people viewing that had probably never seen that and would at least then give it a go.
I appreciate it is a competition but if they are trying to encourage more people to have a go have a small segment with tips and ideas in although hopefully that might come later as the numbers thin.
As daft as it sounds explain why a chimney starter and not firelighters or even the importance of a meat thermometer.
I appreciate we take these for granted but it would be nice to know that the show didnt just produce a winner but got people re thinking and realising what they can do.

Absolutely I totally agree, if there is not going to be any instruction, or at least a condensed tutorial informing the viewer the process that was undertaken then I can't see the average person with basic UK BBQ skills taking the risk. You might get the odd one or two, trying but they will certainly need more information that is available on the programme. I know it is early days, but the format will have to change to attract more people the Q, otherwise it is going to burnt bangers and burgers for the majority of people in the UK, and a lasting impression that will be of a fantastic BBQ show on ITV, that cooked some great food..... but I didn't really understand what they were doing, and how they did it
smokewoodshack
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby IanPlant » 07 Aug 2015, 10:33

Hi,

I general don't watch tv but having been told about the show thought I'd watch it. I wasn't impressed my misses said she wouldn't watch it again (use to watching BBQPitBoys & DJ BBQ). There is possibly one plus though, that it will show the general public that you can cook other things other than burgers and chicken drumsticks on a BBQ

Ian
IanPlant
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby beercan » 07 Aug 2015, 12:37

I wonder what the record is for the most pages on one post ?
Somehow I think this topic is going to take it hands down and that was only the first episode.
Well short wait for tonights installment which apparently is kebabs and a visit to the seaside
I wait with baited breath and glasses ready for the verdict and hopefully the guys will show
their worth tonight !
beercan
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Matsuya » 07 Aug 2015, 20:56

Where are the temperature probes?!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Matsuya
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext