Barbecue Cookoff TV Show

All the latest from barbecue organisations/ organisers and manufactures in the UK, if anything has been missed fell free to chip in!

Re: Barbecue Cookoff TV Show

Postby aris » 26 Jul 2015, 18:47

No doubt the contestants and winner will do quite well for themselves out of this.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby beercan » 28 Jul 2015, 07:40

Well only a few days to go and we will find out !

Have to say just read the ITV press release about how it works and it does seem a little bit like Masterchef does Bbq with the challenges and having to re invent classics.
Mind you thats not always a bad thing and hopefully there should be some off the wall ideas as a result that none of us have thought about trying.
The one thing that is clear is that with the times they have available which is one hour 45 to create a dish that tells them about your personality then two and a half to create a Bbq banquet low and slow is pretty much out of the equation certainly for the format of the first show.
Will be interesting to see if they are allowed to use any of their own pre - prepped rubs,marinades etc or just whats in the store cupboard like a lot of these shows.
Have to say waiting with an open mind and the flood of comments that are bound to be on here after its aired lol
beercan
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Vibe » 31 Jul 2015, 20:15

Only at the first break but already of the 'what am I watching' opinion. Ribs in 1hr 45 - though they are insanely thin like the woman's 'about' video too. For TV reasons I'm sure even if they taste disgusting it won't be said that harsh. Instead we'll hear 'not enough seasoning'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 31 Jul 2015, 20:47

Good to see Simon (CyderPig) there!
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby mart61 » 31 Jul 2015, 21:02

Not much of a show IMHO. Good god you needed to be a butcher and fishmonger to cook some of those dishes.
mart61
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Matsuya » 31 Jul 2015, 21:07

Really not that impressed with the format of the show. They've just stolen the Great British Bake off idea and slapped on barbecues, but they're really torturing their contestants.

Not convinced by the 'cues or the 'cuers. The thing with GBBO is that most people know what baking is like and can relate - but most people don't know. They didn't even mention direct or indirect heat, and so much of it seems to be luck - except maybe that guy who did his salt fish, which looked amazing.

And that grill off was simply being nasty - fish on the first programme?!
Matsuya
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Deano » 31 Jul 2015, 22:21

I wish they had tried to get across more why cooking on a BBQ is different, I can imagine a few people at home shouting "I can do that in an oven!"
Deano
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Vibe » 31 Jul 2015, 22:22

Shame it was badly timed, but just after the showed finished at 10pm, I was able to start pulling what I had done today.

Tasted amazing and juicy as hell!

4.5KG pork butt from Turner and George. Took 11 hours but worth it!
Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby gavinbbq » 31 Jul 2015, 22:27

Good work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gavinbbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 01 Aug 2015, 07:13

Looks good. Nice to see the blade pull straight out.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

PreviousNext

Return to Barbecue News