Slap Yo' Daddy Aka Harry Soo BBQ Classes!

All the latest from barbecue organisations/ organisers and manufactures in the UK, if anything has been missed fell free to chip in!

Re: Slap Yo' Daddy Aka Harry Soo BBQ Classes!

Postby Davy » 22 May 2012, 10:19

Just had a look at the SYD website and I really hope the class runs close to the ones state side as thats exactly the type of class Im interested in.
Davy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby harsoo » 23 May 2012, 07:22

Yes, I'm going to teach my 101 class in the same format as my Los Angeles class. Depending on the meat that Toby can get in the UK such as beef tri tip (aka butchers cut) and tuna sashimi, etc., I'll do about 15 items in the class in about 6 hours. I'm hoping to start around 8 am and finish around 2 pm Sat so we can clean up and setup for the comp class later on Sat evening. I cook two sets of meats so there is no wait time or lag in this class.

In the US, I teach how to cook half chickens, thighs, baby back (loin back) ribs, St. Louis ribs, Kansas City ribs, Rib Tips, Bone-in pork butt, Beef Brisket (packer), Beef Tri-Tip Santa Maria Style, Salami, Hot Link, Sausages, Coleslaw, Scratch Made Cornbread in the smoker, BBQ Baked Beans, and Seared Ahi Tuna w Sweet Onion Dressing. You will learn a lot, eat until you feel sleepy, and take the leftovers home. This is a hands on class and you will cook side-by-side with me.

This class is completely sold out in the US until Oct (over 300 five-star reviews) and there are several dozen on the wait list for my new dates. Although it's a 101 class, I teach and show the rub and ingredients I used to win the California ROY in 2008 so it's a comp class disguised as a beginner class. I cover all the foundation topics like starting a fire, temp control, rub making, sauce making, injection making, mop making, meat selection, meat trimming, meat seasoning, cooking, foiling, and many many tips and tricks. A 20+ page class manual is provided so you can cook with me without taking notes as I've written most of the notes for you. Many of my graduates have gone on to beat me after this class and won Grand Championships. Photography is encouraged but no video taping. Here is the link to my class description. My site navigation is down so please use this link:
http://slapyodaddybbq.com/classes.html

For the Comp class, we will do it realtime starting Sat evening around 7 pm and continuing until simulated KCBS turn-in for Chicken at noon, 12:30 for ribs, 1 pm pork, and 1:30 brisket. The prerequisite is that it's for folks are very serious BBQ competitors who have already taken my 101 class and/or have cooked at least 5 comps because I will not be covering the basics such as starting a pit, temperature control, etc. as it is assumed you already know this. I cut to the chase and will reveal my secret current recipes, rubs, sauces, injections, schmers, cooking and finishing techniques, psychology of winning, presentation and box methods that has won SYD five Grand Championships already in 2012 using one WSM-18 and 1 bag of charcoal. Nothing will be held back. No photography or video, and students write their own notes.

http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/blog/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Slap-Yo-D ... 7370966585
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showt ... ?p=2036452
harsoo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby esselle » 23 May 2012, 07:42

Told you this guy was good ^^^^^^ :D
Can't wait Harry. :D
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Davy » 23 May 2012, 07:50

harsoo wrote:Yes, I'm going to teach my 101 class in the same format as my Los Angeles class. Depending on the meat that Toby can get in the UK such as beef tri tip (aka butchers cut) and tuna sashimi, etc., I'll do about 15 items in the class in about 6 hours. I'm hoping to start around 8 am and finish around 2 pm Sat so we can clean up and setup for the comp class later on Sat evening. I cook two sets of meats so there is no wait time or lag in this class.

In the US, I teach how to cook half chickens, thighs, baby back (loin back) ribs, St. Louis ribs, Kansas City ribs, Rib Tips, Bone-in pork butt, Beef Brisket (packer), Beef Tri-Tip Santa Maria Style, Salami, Hot Link, Sausages, Coleslaw, Scratch Made Cornbread in the smoker, BBQ Baked Beans, and Seared Ahi Tuna w Sweet Onion Dressing. You will learn a lot, eat until you feel sleepy, and take the leftovers home. This is a hands on class and you will cook side-by-side with me.

This class is completely sold out in the US until Oct (over 300 five-star reviews) and there are several dozen on the wait list for my new dates. Although it's a 101 class, I teach and show the rub and ingredients I used to win the California ROY in 2008 so it's a comp class disguised as a beginner class. I cover all the foundation topics like starting a fire, temp control, rub making, sauce making, injection making, mop making, meat selection, meat trimming, meat seasoning, cooking, foiling, and many many tips and tricks. A 20+ page class manual is provided so you can cook with me without taking notes as I've written most of the notes for you. Many of my graduates have gone on to beat me after this class and won Grand Championships. Photography is encouraged but no video taping. Here is the link to my class description. My site navigation is down so please use this link:
http://slapyodaddybbq.com/classes.html

For the Comp class, we will do it realtime starting Sat evening around 7 pm and continuing until simulated KCBS turn-in for Chicken at noon, 12:30 for ribs, 1 pm pork, and 1:30 brisket. The prerequisite is that it's for folks are very serious BBQ competitors who have already taken my 101 class and/or have cooked at least 5 comps because I will not be covering the basics such as starting a pit, temperature control, etc. as it is assumed you already know this. I cut to the chase and will reveal my secret current recipes, rubs, sauces, injections, schmers, cooking and finishing techniques, psychology of winning, presentation and box methods that has won SYD five Grand Championships already in 2012 using one WSM-18 and 1 bag of charcoal. Nothing will be held back. No photography or video, and students write their own notes.

http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/blog/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Slap-Yo-D ... 7370966585
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showt ... ?p=2036452

Harry its great to have you here. You seemed to have everything pretty much covered in great detail. A comp class described as beginner class is music to my ears. What will you be cooking on in the beginner class (hoping you will be using a weber kettle) and can you give us some indication of price.

Thanks again.
Davy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Toby » 23 May 2012, 09:20

full details and pricing will be published in the next couple of days.i will be emailing all those that have sent an inquiry first as the class will be strictly first come first served and spaces are limited.
Cheers
Toby
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby harsoo » 23 May 2012, 18:55

Absolutely, if Toby can find a kettle, we'll cook on it.
My 101 class covers ovens, gas grills, gas smokers, WSM, Kettle, and ceramic smokers.
Students come away learning that it's the pitmaster that matters and not the pit! :-)
harsoo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby bencops » 23 May 2012, 20:20

Wow, the 101 class looks really good too!
bencops

Postby Toby » 23 May 2012, 20:25

I will make sure there is at least one of everything there, those that know me already know of my "collection" and it will have increased by the time the class is here.
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Saucy Pig » 24 May 2012, 00:14

While trying to explain to the wife why this would be a most excellent use of time and savings, best I could equate it to would be "like getting a private darts lesson from Phil The Power Taylor"

Well done to all the guys who Im sure worked hard to make this happen and I hope everyone has a cracking couple of days.

Nick
Saucy Pig
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 24 May 2012, 05:17

Hopefully there will be another 101 class in the future, sadly my piggy bank is empty even the IOU's are on parchment :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
keith157

PreviousNext

Return to Barbecue News