First try at Mutton - Western Kentucky style

Lamb, mutton, game.... Zebra, Ostrich, Crocodile. Whatever the meat, if you have a recipe, feel free to post it here.

First try at Mutton - Western Kentucky style

Postby Pooky » 25 Nov 2013, 18:45

Here are some photos from my cook on Saturday.

I've been wanting to cook some Mutton for a while - I'd had it in Indian food, but I'd never tried it as a roast/BBQ.

I trimmed it down, removed the bulk of the silverskin and then slathered it in Worcestershire sauce, before coating with an Owensboro-style rub of Black Pepper, Brown Sugar, Salt, Garlic and Allspice, to which I added just a teaspoon of smoked hot Paprika. Then let it set.

Put it on the smoker at 250F with some Hickory and after about an hour an a half, started mopping with a "dip" of White Vinegar, Beer, Worcestershire, Black Pepper, White Pepper, Brown Sugar, Salt, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder and Cayenne, every 50 minutes.

This is about 3 hours in:

She stalled at around 151F - Colour was looking good, so I foiled with some of the dip.

I started testing once it hit 190 and at 200 it was probe tender - About 9 hours in.

Vented then rested for an hour. Then I pulled - The meat pulled easily and left the majority of the bone clean, though there were some small areas, particularly near the joints where the meat was still firmly attached - I reckon it could've done with maybe another half hour, to be perfect.

Mixed in some of the reserved meat juices and dip, which I'd reduced slightly, then made sandwiches with a Red Cabbage, Leek and Apple 'slaw.

Really good flavour - Certainly gamier than lamb, but the peppery rub and the dip, balanced it really well. Tender with a slightly coarser texture than PP. I really enjoyed it!

Here's my number 1 of 3 - And they didn't get any smaller!

Gratuitous meat shot

Pooky
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: First try at Mutton - Western Kentucky style

Postby ConorD » 25 Nov 2013, 19:20

You got a really great colour on that. I'm interested to try it - I have a lamb dish that I used to do in the over which is first on the list but mutton may have to follow quickly afterwards.
ConorD
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Saucy Pig » 26 Nov 2013, 06:20

Thanks for the post. Great looking pics.
Hoping to do something like this for Christmas dinner.
Saucy Pig
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby derekmiller » 26 Nov 2013, 09:21

Looks really nice. Well done.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pooky » 26 Nov 2013, 17:41

Thanks guys - It was certainly something a bit different. Perfect for these cold Autumnal nights!
Pooky
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Other Meats