Smoked Lamb, Curry

Lamb, mutton, game.... Zebra, Ostrich, Crocodile. Whatever the meat, if you have a recipe, feel free to post it here.

Smoked Lamb, Curry

Postby gazz_46 » 03 Aug 2012, 12:13

Smoked a whole leg of lamb whilst practicing ribs last week then froze it ready for curry night, couldn't wait any longer so i decided last night was curry night and it turned out....really very tasty.
This would easily feed 4 people, i dont tend to write stuff down just go with feeling / taste so actual quantities may vary a little but not massivley........why not give it a try ;)

Dont be scared of the scotch bonnet the heat cooks out Just be sure to wash your hands after handling , i like hot curry and would class this as mild to medium.

Ingredients:
Whole leg of lamb
(Lightly covered with mild yellow mustard, lil salt & pepper then tiniest amount of SYD rub, smoked over apple chunks)
2x Medium white onions
2x Large spring onion (green part only)
1x Scotch bonnet chilli pepper
1x Large red (hot) Chilli
1/2 x Red, orange and yellow peppers
1x Sweet Ramiro pepper
3x Cloves "Black garlic" (available at tesco, check it out!)
250 grm Chesnut mushrooms (not necessary, i just like em)
2x Lge Waxy potatoes
1/2 Inch ginger (fine chopped)
Juice of 1 lime
1x Pint chicken stock (top up to cover meat)
1/3 can coconut milk
Lge bunch Corriander
Lge bunch flat leaf parsley
2x Bay Leaves
1x Level tbsp mild curry powder
1x Level tbsp all purpose seasoning
2x Heaped tbsp - Indonesian "seven seas" curry powder (seasoned pioneers)
2x tsp cayenne pepper
Good pinch of salt and cracked black pepper to taste.

All thrown in a pot with approx 6 tbsp of rapseed oil, just need to soften onions, peppers etc but because the meat was already cooked it took only about an hour on a low heat.........

Oh......and some rice of your choosing, i think a pea pilaf would be a good hit for next time :D

gazz_46
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Re: Smoked Lamb, Curry

Postby aris » 03 Aug 2012, 13:57

I would respectfully disagree with you about Scotch Bonnet heat 'cooking out'. It may well taste milder in the mouth - and Scotch Bonnets are by far the most delicious and aromatic chillies out there - but you will be doing handstands in the shower the next morning. They do burn on the way out :oops: :oops:
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby gazz_46 » 03 Aug 2012, 14:14

aris wrote:I would respectfully disagree with you about Scotch Bonnet heat 'cooking out'. It may well taste milder in the mouth - and Scotch Bonnets are by far the most delicious and aromatic chillies out there - but you will be doing handstands in the shower the next morning. They do burn on the way out :oops: :oops:

Aris

In this quantity of curry the "bonnet" was hardly noticable, no "afterburn this morning!"
however neat or in a smaller dish i would agree.
gazz_46
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby aris » 03 Aug 2012, 14:36

I made a little chicken stew for lunch. Took a whole Scotch Bonnet (I keep them in the freezer), cut in in half - took the seeds out then put the flesh in the stew. After 30 minutes of simmering, I fished the two halves of SB back out, and had a taste. Not thermonuclear, but still bloody hot. My stomach is grumbling too - I can feel I will regret this in the morning. Perhaps i'm just getting old :-( I used to be able to eat chilies all day long with no effects!
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 03 Aug 2012, 14:43

Bearing in mind I don't go for hot chillies, I have seen Caribean cooks shaving slivers of the flesh of said SB leaving the interior alone. I have no idea what the result would be but apparantly you get the flavour but not much of the heat ?

Gazz what is the difference in flavour twixt ordinary garlic and the aforementioned black Garlic?
keith157

Postby gazz_46 » 03 Aug 2012, 14:48

aris wrote:I made a little chicken stew for lunch. Took a whole Scotch Bonnet (I keep them in the freezer), cut in in half - took the seeds out then put the flesh in the stew. After 30 minutes of simmering, I fished the two halves of SB back out, and had a taste. Not thermonuclear, but still bloody hot. My stomach is grumbling too - I can feel I will regret this in the morning. Perhaps i'm just getting old :-( I used to be able to eat chilies all day long with no effects!

I know what you mean, in my younger dayz it wasn't hot enough unless it thermonuclear......not so now, how times and tastes change, at one time you couldn't force me to eat mushrooms but now i look to include them in anything i can.

Honest tho my curry recipe isn't hot.
gazz_46
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby gazz_46 » 03 Aug 2012, 14:55

keith157 wrote:Bearing in mind I don't go for hot chillies, I have seen Caribean cooks shaving slivers of the flesh of said SB leaving the interior alone. I have no idea what the result would be but apparantly you get the flavour but not much of the heat ?

Gazz what is the difference in flavour twixt ordinary garlic and the aforementioned black Garlic?

Reading the bumpf on the back of the pack:

"Gourmet black garlic is aged white garlic with a mellow flavour and sweet taste, great with pasta sauces and risotto or meat and fish. The ageing process removes the garlic after-smell and produces a molasses-balsamic flavour which can be added to almost any dish OR eaten straight from the bulb"

Have to say i agree but havent tried it straight from the bulb........looks like liqorice, smells like roasted garlic but is a little difficult to handle............very soft

http://www.talkingretail.com/products/p ... s-at-tesco
gazz_46
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby aris » 03 Aug 2012, 17:48

gazz_46 wrote:
aris wrote:I made a little chicken stew for lunch. Took a whole Scotch Bonnet (I keep them in the freezer), cut in in half - took the seeds out then put the flesh in the stew. After 30 minutes of simmering, I fished the two halves of SB back out, and had a taste. Not thermonuclear, but still bloody hot. My stomach is grumbling too - I can feel I will regret this in the morning. Perhaps i'm just getting old :-( I used to be able to eat chilies all day long with no effects!

I know what you mean, in my younger dayz it wasn't hot enough unless it thermonuclear......not so now, how times and tastes change, at one time you couldn't force me to eat mushrooms but now i look to include them in anything i can.

Honest tho my curry recipe isn't hot.

Yeah, that's what I tell my wife - she doesnt trust me any more :twisted:

I suspect my taste buds are going too - honest - it not hot!
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Tiny » 03 Aug 2012, 18:47

Gaz
Oh well done i now need to change this shirt as it has drooldown it!!

top work
Timy
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby gazz_46 » 03 Aug 2012, 21:55

Tiny wrote:Gaz
Oh well done i now need to change this shirt as it has drooldown it!!

top work
Timy

Lol ;-) thanks Tiny, Feedback to me if u do try it out but plz use pm if u don't rate It tho.. :lol: :lol:
gazz_46
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Next

Return to Other Meats