Lamb neck filets with coriander, cumin & garlic

Lamb, mutton, game.... Zebra, Ostrich, Crocodile. Whatever the meat, if you have a recipe, feel free to post it here.

Lamb neck filets with coriander, cumin & garlic

Postby KamadoSimon » 09 Jul 2012, 08:31

A really cheap cut - these two long (but thin) fillets cost just under £6 in total. I trimmed some of the fat off & then cut down each of them to be equal thickness - ish - so that they were roughly going to cook evenly when grilled. The flatter parts were vac-packed & frozen to use at a later date - will probably use them for stir fry or similar, sliced thinly. So two meals for two people for £6 - not bad value if it tastes good.

Grind a dry marinade of black peppercorns, coriander seeds & cumin seeds. Then add in fresh garlic (with a bit more of a grind) & then mix with some olive oil. Coat the lamb both sides with the mixture & into the fridge for a few hours. Well, it was meant to be a few hours - but we got caught at a local school's fete & they had a hog roast which we couldn't resist. So we saved the lamb for the next evening so it ended up being in the marinade for close to 36 hours... Actually didn't matter - you could still taste the lamb - the only change we would make would be to major on the cumin & coriander rather than the pepper next.

Kamado Joe up to 400F - cooked for a 3 minutes per side & then taken off to check for done-ness. They needed to go back on for another 8 minutes or so as they were still very jelly like in the centre - was quite surprised given how thin they were. Next time, I would cook them the same way I do our steaks - indirect to just under rare and then grill to finish. But no biggy.

Served with cumin lentils (which were delicious) & some garden greens.

Neck fillets before being trimmed:

Marinated:

Grilling on the Kamado Joe:

Cooked to medium and sliced:
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Lamb neck filets with coriander, cumin & garlic

Postby keith157 » 09 Jul 2012, 10:42

Many people make the mistake of using this fillet for kebabs, I mean it's the right shape. The neck fillet is the most used muscle group on a sheep, therefore the toughest. It was always sold on the bone as "neck end" usually for stewing or scrag end if the fillet was removed. It should be slow cooked ideally but you seem to have done a bonzer job.
keith157

Return to Other Meats