Garlic crusted shoulder of lamb

Lamb, mutton, game.... Zebra, Ostrich, Crocodile. Whatever the meat, if you have a recipe, feel free to post it here.

Garlic crusted shoulder of lamb

Postby Col (Shizzling) » 23 May 2012, 20:05

I got a recipe for an awesome garlic paste from a friend in Australia so I thought I'd try it out on a shoulder of lamb.

Gave it low and slow for the first few hours then pushed the heat over 300F (390F at one point before I pulled it back) to finish.

The result is succulent, juicy lamb.

I cooked on mainly wood (oak, beech and birch) for the first part of the cook and then whacked a load of lump on for the final push. It resulted in a very well defined smoke ring.
Col (Shizzling)
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Garlic crusted shoulder of lamb

Postby keith157 » 24 May 2012, 05:19

It looks great, but come on you can't just leave it there details please of the garlic paste and what made it different from all the others?

pretty please :lol:
keith157

Re: Garlic crusted shoulder of lamb

Postby Col (Shizzling) » 24 May 2012, 07:04

Ok, here goes..

Take 8 heads (not cloves, heads) of garlic, peel and pop the cloves in a food processor. Whizz to a slushy paste, adding about a tablespoon of salt. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to ensure everything gets blitzed.

Then, while the machine is still blitzing, add a slow trickle of olive oil - a lot of it - until the mixture doubles in volume. This took about 2/3 of a bottle for mine. If the mixture starts to go greasy stop adding oil.

You should have a white mass at this point - looks like a thick mousse/mayo.

Now drizzle in the juice of 3 lemons. The mix will fluff up a bit and it's done.

Use wherever garlic is needed. It stores in the fridge for up to a month.

I've got loads of it :-)
Col (Shizzling)
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Other Meats