Rack of lamb with herb crust

Lamb, mutton, game.... Zebra, Ostrich, Crocodile. Whatever the meat, if you have a recipe, feel free to post it here.

Rack of lamb with herb crust

Postby KamadoSimon » 21 May 2012, 08:38

Really liked the idea of a small rack of lamb - never cooked one before. So whilst visiting the supposed BGE flag-ship store up north I popped into their award winning butchers - fortunately they didn't disappoint. Came away with some amazing pork chops & this rack of lamb.

Salt & pepper on, I seared it quickly on the Kamado Joe at about 400/450F to get some nice browning on all sides, then removed & set up for indirect cooking. Also added an applewood log for some smoke.

Whilst it was coming up to temperature I mixed olive oil & some herbs - a combination of ready-mixed 'mixed herbs' & some herbs de Provence with a little more salt & pepper.

In with the meat & pit probes aiming for 125F for medium-rare cooking at between 300 & 350F. Also added some thick slices of potatoes & sweet pepper slices to roast at the same time. Half hour or so later, temperature hit, I pulled & foiled leaving the temperature probe for the meat in place. I was expecting it to rise to 130F ish - but it carried on going all the way up to 140F - was quite surprised at how much it rose in foil. It meant the meat came out pink but definitely medium rather than medium rare. Next time I'll pull at 115 / 120F I think.

Was amazed how much smoke the potatoes took on - really good.

Other changes if we were to do this one again:
- I would make a little red wine gravy / jus - whilst the lamb was very tender & moist it needed a little sweetness;
- might try some Moroccan-inspired spices, rather than French, maybe with some dried fruit for sweetness & some bread crumbs to give more of a crunch.

Rack of lambed uncooked:

Rack of lamb seared:

Rack of lamb with herb crust:

Rack of lamb on the Kamado Joe:

Rack of lamb served:
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Rack of lamb with herb crust

Postby keith157 » 21 May 2012, 09:19

Nice, very nice 8-) it is quite surprising just how much longer the joints actually cook for after removing from the BBQ. For a proper "macho" Q fest ask the buthcher to leave a bit more bone on the lamb, makes it easier to pick up and munch ;) :lol:
keith157

Re: Rack of lamb with herb crust

Postby joker smoker » 21 May 2012, 09:58

This looks delicious. You may consider cooking the lamb above a foil tray containing some red wine, garlic and rosemary into which your meat juices would drip and collect
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Other Meats