Pulled Chicken

From a humble Hot Wing to a full Christmas Turkey, BBQ applies to all. Post here if you have any good recipes.

Pulled Chicken

Postby Saucy Pig » 16 Oct 2012, 10:56

Done quite a few chickens on the smoker now, and after looking around for something a bit different thought I'd have a go at shredding the meat as it works so well with pork.

Cooked on the GMG at 325° following a recipe from the GMG site.
Brined for a few hours, then glazed with butter/oil and rubbed with garlic salt and black pepper.

Fresh from the smoker, letting it rest while I grab a cold one.

I was worried about it drying out as I took it way over temp. I'd like to say I had a valid reason for that but I left it on too high then got stuck in traffic picking the Mrs up from work. I shouldnt have worried, it was still really moist and pulled very easily.

Worked very well with out homemade BBQ sauce. It was really very good and is something we will certainly do again. I liked the brining process but Im not sure i'll bother with the rub next time. We couldnt pick out any of the rub after it was mixed with the sauce. Though you could smell it down the street as we arrived back. :)
Saucy Pig
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Pulled Chicken

Postby MrJaba » 16 Oct 2012, 11:04

That looks awesome, I might have to give that a try! What was in the brine and the rub?
I've tried a loaf-pan chicken on my weber kettle and it came out beautifully, really like the smokey chicken flavour.
MrJaba
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Saucy Pig » 16 Oct 2012, 11:19

The brine was just 1/4 cup kosher salt with a gallon of water. I used Maldon sea salt. Leave in for minimum 3 hrs.
Melt 2 tbsp of butter with 2 tbsp of vegetable oil brush over.
Rub inside and out with garlic salt (not garlic and salt :)) and black pepper. I used equal amounts of both. About 2 tsp of each was enough to give it a decent cover.
Saucy Pig
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby MrJaba » 16 Oct 2012, 11:23

Dammit now I'm even hungrier :) will have to go and eat my leftover ribs! haha.
MrJaba
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Pecker » 16 Oct 2012, 11:55

I've done 'pulled' chicken before without trying. Just cook your chicken a little longer than normal at a slightly lower temperature.

Chicken is usually cooked for 20 minutes per lb (454g - you can round that up to 0.5kg) + an extra 20 at 190C. So for a chicken that's 3lb (c.1350g) it's 80 minutes. Just make this 90 or 100 minutes at 160-170C and it'll fall off the bone.

And chicken takes on smoke flavour like no other meat. I cooked one 'beer can' style on a Weber roaster for the normal cooking time and smoke had got to every last bit of the meat, and I'd only added one small handful of soaked chips at the start. Indeed, it was absolutely, hideously overpowering.

Steve W
Pecker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Riverrat » 17 Oct 2012, 00:16

I have been cooking several chickens of late and have been putting some of the rub under the skin as well as on top, I think it really makes a big difference to the flavour of the meat, a lot of the times I mix the rub or seasonings with some mayo first and then shove it under the skin - helps to keep the meat moist.
Riverrat
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 17 Oct 2012, 05:16

Not tried mayo, I've often used compond butters under the skin i.e. herbs garlic etc mixed in with butter.
keith157

Postby Pecker » 17 Oct 2012, 08:13

The best way to get a marinade into any meat is to mix it with yoghurt.

It works a treat, though obviously it's not suitable for every dish.

I have considered doing this for a couple of days, then wiping/gently rinsing off the yoghurt, then putting a dry rub on. Difficult with a whole chicken with the skin on, though.

Steve W
Pecker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Return to Poultry