Christmas turkey

From a humble Hot Wing to a full Christmas Turkey, BBQ applies to all. Post here if you have any good recipes.

Christmas turkey

Postby aris » 08 Oct 2012, 12:23

Anyone done one of these on a smoker that can give some pointers?

I usually brine my turkeys with aromatics for about 36 hours or so, then cook in the oven. Assuming I get my UDS built this side of Christmas, i'd like to cook Christmas dinner on the smoker.

Does the 225-250F still apply?

What about foiling?

Stuffing the bird?

I did a small turkey in a weber kettle about 20 years ago - but to be honest, I have forgotten what I did, and it was a small bird (think very large chicken size).

Thanks!
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Christmas turkey

Postby Riverrat » 08 Oct 2012, 13:19

Smoked Turkey ............. yum!!!

I have done a couple on the kettle, I gleaned most of my info from the VWBB, they run a few threads on "how to do it" and lets face it those guys should be able to get it about right.

Information that I work on is as follows (careful I am only a backyard burner!!)

For food safety reasons about 14 lbs is about the maximum size beast you should be looking at (takes to long for the temperature to get past the danger zone)

Can cook in the 285/300F area, Turkey absorbs the smoke more readily than say pork or beef and is not as tough a meat anyway. Brine or inject to aid the moisture.

From my memory it is not advised by the experts to stuff the bird again for food safety.

My experience is that the flavour is better the next day when it has all had a chance to meld, so, I would cook the day before and reheat as needed. Not so impressive to look at on the day though.

Hope this helps a little.
Riverrat
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 08 Oct 2012, 16:30

Temps help alot - thanks.

So how long would a 14lb turkey take?
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby derekmiller » 08 Oct 2012, 16:43

And how important is the brining.
I don't brine my chickens and have never had a dry one. I tend to leave a foil tray with liquid in, in the coals.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aris » 08 Oct 2012, 17:09

I never brine chickens either, but I've had very good results with brining my turkeys.

My instinct says to use a foil tray for the turkey and then cover with foil a few hours into the cook.

Am I right?
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BadBoyzofBBQ » 08 Oct 2012, 19:49

Deffo brine did turkeys last year on Kamado Joe awesome
BadBoyzofBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Riverrat » 08 Oct 2012, 22:00

aris wrote:Temps help alot - thanks.

So how long would a 14lb turkey take?

Somewhere in the eight to ten hour range is what I would be aiming for as a guide. The skin will be uneatable, some people ramp up the temperature towards the end of the cook to crisp it up - I have not tried so don't know how successful the method is.

I expect we will be having a Turkey for Thanksgiving towards the end of November (strange American custom when millions of Turkeys are murdered, cooked by several different methods and devoured by people who can't use a knife and fork) I will make a few notes if you like?

A short review of "Thanksgiving Turkey 2011" is in this section somewhere
Riverrat
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Riverrat » 08 Oct 2012, 22:39

aris wrote:I never brine chickens either, but I've had very good results with brining my turkeys.

My instinct says to use a foil tray for the turkey and then cover with foil a few hours into the cook.

Am I right?

I would put a pan below the turkey to catch the drippings (on the charcoal grate of my kettle) but have never put any foil over the bird, I would expect if you are brining or injecting you should not have any problems with it drying out.
Riverrat
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 09 Oct 2012, 05:24

Search on here for turkey there are lots of hints and tips and have a butchers at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbtZZpyj4A0
keith157

Postby UKEgger » 09 Oct 2012, 12:04

I have used the below method for the last 3 years for both Thanksgiving and Xmas turkey and its never let me down, if nothing else the use of bags of ice on the breast for a while to make the breast a lower temp at the start is fantastic.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm
UKEgger
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Poultry