Saints & Sinners Kievs

From a humble Hot Wing to a full Christmas Turkey, BBQ applies to all. Post here if you have any good recipes.

Saints & Sinners Kievs

Postby keith157 » 01 Aug 2012, 08:19

This was submitted for the July Recipe competition as it's August it should be safe to post.

Preliminary work. Make a compound butter, mine was coriander & garlic. Then make a small bacon weave, mine was a 3x3 with half rashers of streaky, and or soak the corn husks if using for 20 minutes. Skin & bone chicken thighs, preheat smoker to 250f

First flatten the boned skinless thigh between clingfilm

Then spread with compound butter.

Roll tightly in the clingfilm to make a dumpy sausage shape.

Refrigerate for at least 4 hours to ensure the butter sets properly.

Remove the clingfilm, then wrap in the bacon or in the corn husks. I sealed the corn husks with a couple of staples placed away from the meat but keeping the wrap tight or you could use "butchers string and a surgeon's knot ;) . The corn husk keeps everything together but still lets the smoke flavour in.

Place on the smoker for 35-45 minutes depending on the size of the thighs, then serve and enjoy.

Sinners Kiev (with bacon wrap)

Saints Kiev (with corn husk wrapping)

You could also vary the filling, adding slices of ham or cheese. The corn husks were also used to make a slimmy, i.e. a fatty without the bacon but I didn't get any pictures of that.
keith157

Re: Saints & Sinners Kievs

Postby Davy » 01 Aug 2012, 08:39

Kieth thanks for posting this, I always wondered about doing some sort of stuffed chicken on the BBQ especially Kiev. I take it this will work equally well with breasts :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Will definitely be experimenting with this soon.
Davy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 01 Aug 2012, 08:46

To be honest I've not tried this technique with breasts as the roll size gets quite large. I've done the roll with chicken breasts then crumbed and fried them, finishing them off in the oven but not on a BBQ.
keith157

Postby London Irish » 01 Aug 2012, 09:14

Wonderful Keith!!!!

Like the cordon bleu idea as well :D :D :D
London Irish
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Return to Poultry