Wings on the Grill

From a humble Hot Wing to a full Christmas Turkey, BBQ applies to all. Post here if you have any good recipes.

Wings on the Grill

Postby Big Mick » 05 Apr 2010, 10:09

Based on a recipe on TVWBB here's how I love wings.

In a saucepan heat and mix approx half a jar of marmalade (I used Golden Shred - it sets well) with about the same quantity of Holy Cow Himalayan Hot Garlic Sauce. I think this sauce is fairly new and is stocked at Asda and Sainsbury's - a word of warning it is VERY garlicky so not recommended if romance is in the air ;)

Grill about 1kg of wings indirect at about 350f for 1 hour with a few apple wood chips, then dip in the sauce and cook for another half hour brushing with sauce now and again.
Big Mick
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Wings on the Grill

Postby Vic. » 11 Apr 2011, 21:47

that would work on the smoker too ;)
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby BBQFanatic » 12 Jun 2011, 22:30

I like the vinegar based sauces, "Franks (Original) Hot Sauce" is my favourite, but can be substituted for Anchor Wing Sauce, or Defcon 3 (Mild). Exactly the same cooking method, except I lightly dust the wings in flour or spice first, then let them set in the fridge for an hour before hand.

Mix Franks 50/50 with butter. Dump all the wings in the heated sauce and serve immediately with blue cheese OR Ranhce dressing. YUM. Family favourite. Franks is available at Tescos & Sainsburies in the small botlle only
BBQFanatic

Postby Vic. » 13 Jun 2011, 08:21

BBQFanatic wrote: Franks is available at Tescos & Sainsburies in the small botlle only

cheers for that

btw, when you say dump the wings in the heated sauce and serve, do you mean there's no need to coat the wings during cooking?
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby BBQFanatic » 13 Jun 2011, 10:55

Vic. wrote:btw, when you say dump the wings in the heated sauce and serve, do you mean there's no need to coat the wings during cooking?

Vic, yep, thats the way I enjoy them. I like the skin to get crispy and having a sauce on it will preent this from happening during the cooking process. If you want sticky wings, then by all means baste them near the end. But the vinegar based sauces (ie Franks or Anchor etc) are too thin and dont contain any sugar so you would lose all this flavour. You still want the wings drenched in sauce - so best to give them a dunking just before serving in the sauce. If you have lightly flowered them and baked/grilled them, they should have a nice crisp which will soak up the sauce. MMMMM

Another cooking method is to smoke them for 2hrs then finish them off in the deep fryer - Gives a good smokey flavour but the crisp that everyone loves. If you go down this route you absolutely cannot have sauce on the wings until after the fry

There are other franks sauces available - ie pre-mixed with butter, as below
http://www.bbqfanatics.co.uk/2009/11/franks-hot-sauce-for-wings.html
BBQFanatic

Postby stickthekettleon » 14 Jun 2011, 19:43

Hi
I'm with Cuan here, I'll season my wings first, Smoke and cook them second, and then straight off the grill into a big bowl, pour on yer sauce and give a quick toss around (be careful of burning fingers here) and serve. Works nice with vinegary sauces like Franks, but equally as well with more traditional sauces too, Some of the levi roots Jamaican jerk ones work well. Depending on the number of guests I'm serving up for, I'll cook loads of wings up, split them into 3 -4 piles and coat them all In different sauces. 8-)

Chris.
stickthekettleon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BBQFanatic » 14 Jun 2011, 22:19

aaah Man. I Want some now. In Chicago this weekend and going off to the winner of the WingFest 2011 - http://www.wingfest.net/index.html. Winner was a Sports bar called Jake Melnicks, anyone ever been.... http://www.jakemelnicks.com/ - Apparently I need to sign a waiver to eat the hot wings... I say - BRING IT ON
BBQFanatic

Postby jotch » 15 Jun 2011, 10:46

I'm with you BBQFanatic...although I've only ever deep fried them so far, need to smoke them first next time then deep fry.

Franks and Butter all the way with me...the hotter the franks the better to be honest!
jotch
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BBQFanatic » 15 Jun 2011, 18:47

jotch wrote:I'm with you BBQFanatic...although I've only ever deep fried them so far, need to smoke them first next time then deep fry.

Franks and Butter all the way with me...the hotter the franks the better to be honest!

Good man... if you like Franks, they have an extra hot which will blow your O-Ring and have you doing handstands in the shower the next morning!
BBQFanatic

Postby Vic. » 15 Jun 2011, 18:54

BBQFanatic wrote:
jotch wrote:if you like Franks, they have an extra hot which will blow your O-Ring and have you doing handstands in the shower the next morning!

as long as they don't blow my G-ring :shock:
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Next

Return to Poultry