Half Chicken on a Kettle

From a humble Hot Wing to a full Christmas Turkey, BBQ applies to all. Post here if you have any good recipes.

Half Chicken on a Kettle

Postby Riverrat » 20 Mar 2012, 18:25

Well two halves really, while most of you were in you were a bed, I was busy at the grill. Chicken cut in half, seasoned with home mixed Butt Rub and coated with BBQ sauce. Cabbages have been on sale this week and have been so cheap so I thought it time to try some on the grill. As the grill was all hotted up I chopped up some potatoes and dropped them on as well - dinner for two cooked on the Kettle!!

IMG_1644small.jpg

IMG_1649small.jpg

IMG_1656small.jpg
Riverrat
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Half Chicken on a Kettle

Postby keith157 » 20 Mar 2012, 18:54

Knock knock
keith157

Postby BigG » 20 Mar 2012, 20:47

Chicken looks excellent and very tasty, How was the cabbage ? Never tried that before?
BigG
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Minesamojito » 20 Mar 2012, 21:20

Looks great, how did it taste?
Cheers
Marcus
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Riverrat » 21 Mar 2012, 09:57

The taste test -

Chicken was pretty darn good, I have cooked lots of halved chickens now and have pretty much got it cracked, just like to play with different flavors, the Butt Rub gives it a bit of kick which sort of sneaks up on you after the sweetness of the BBQ sauce, the sauce was a mix of the two in the picture, they having been lurking in the fridge for a while and need using up.

The cabbage was a new one for me, cooked naked on the grill ( the cabbage not me!!) Salt and pepper with a wipe over of Italian Dressing, the bottom got well charred and was lost to the cause, turned out crisp to the bite which makes a change to soggy boiled stuff, would recommend using a Savoy Cabbage so that the dressing can seep into the folds between the leaves. The Cabbage I had was so tight that nothing stood a chance of getting inside - will try wrapping it in foil next time.

Potatoes turn out nice - not as good as a good old English roasty but they pass muster, again just playing with the seasonings, Cajun next time round I think.

Going to try a Spatchcocked chicken later in the week, feeling in the mood for a herb based flavor and see how it turns out.
Riverrat
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Poultry