Kettle Chicken

From a humble Hot Wing to a full Christmas Turkey, BBQ applies to all. Post here if you have any good recipes.

Kettle Chicken

Postby Riverrat » 15 Sep 2011, 19:16

Had to do a rush job on two six pound chickens that would not keep for another day, so, home from work and cooked them in the evening........ no time to mess about!! One seasoned with Lemon Pepper and the other with Everglades, indirect cooking on the OTS with some Oak chips for a little flavour. Dome temp at 350F, two and a half hours later, job done. I just love the OTS for this type of cooking, no fuss, no drama, just good food without to much time or effort.

Chicken.jpg
Ready to eat.

dinnersmall.jpg
My Dinner.

Dinner that night, Dirty Rice, White Corn, Onion and Chicken, eat your heart out KFC!!!

I smoked a chicken a couple of days earlier which was a whole different can of worms, six pound bird which I injected with a honey and lemon mix with lemon pepper seasoning on the outside, set up the OTS to smoke aiming at a dome temp of around 225F to 250F, added some Mesquite chips in a foil pack for the smokie flavor, introduced the chicken to the Weber, they were companions for six and a half hours...... let sit for 30 minutes and chow down - awesome!! Had some the left overs the next day and the flavor was even better, I have noticed this several times that the flavor improves when the smoked meat is left 24 hours or so. Sorry, no picture of this one, next time, soon....
Riverrat
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Kettle Chicken

Postby JEC » 15 Sep 2011, 21:03

Two methods, two good jobs
JEC

Postby wade » 16 Sep 2011, 06:39

Both look great. I am surprised that the chickens took as long as 2.5 hours at that temperature though. I guess in tinfoil that would keep them moist though. Do you cook by time or by thermometer?
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Riverrat » 19 Sep 2011, 12:13

I kind of have a rough idea of the cooking time in my head at the start but use a temp probe for the final test to make sure meats are up to internal temperature. I tend to give chicken a little extra cooking just to be sure it's done all the way! The foil was only a liner on the pan and not used during the cooking.
Riverrat
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Poultry