Rock Salt Crusted "Dirty" Chateaubriand

Good old British Beef, you can't beat it! Of course Brisket is the American BBQ favorite but recipes for any cut are welcome here.

Rock Salt Crusted "Dirty" Chateaubriand

Postby Minesamojito » 08 May 2013, 21:29

This is a real cavemans carnivore recipe again from my BBQ, but I won’t apologise, this a real celebration of good, well hung, dry aged Aberdeen Angus beef.

I’ve never really been one for fillet steak, I like a bit more fat through my steak, but I saw Andrew Gordon Butchery was serving up the most stunning chateaubriand joints, these are the thick end of the fillet steak, and are tender as a steak comes, this particular one was really well hung. I already had an idea of how I wanted to cook it, on the BBQ “dirty” style, ie. straight on the coals to sear the outside and then smoked till rare with oak wood chips.

I rubbed the meat with a handful of rock salt, and prepared a spray by dissolving a handful of rock salt in 100ml of hotwater, allowing to cool, and filling a water squirter.

I placed the chateaubriand on red hot coals, make sure they are good quality lumpwood charcoal, not briquettes, place the meat on top and allow to sear on all sides, keep the outside of the meat slightly moist by spraying with the salt spray, and the occasional drizzle of olive oil. Then place the meat on the BBQ rack to cook with the lid down on a medium hot BBQ for 15-20 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 52 degC.

Allow to rest for 5 minutes, and you should have a wonderful piece of meat, with a salty savoury crust, and tender moist inside. Perfect steak cooked dirty style.

I served mine cut into thick slices, a simple salad and chunks of sourdough toasted over the coals and rubbed with garlic and extra virgin olive oil.

A glass of Primitivo red from Italy went perfectly with this.

Cheers
Marcus

P.S lots more meaty pics on the post on my site
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Beef