Premium rib joints

Good old British Beef, you can't beat it! Of course Brisket is the American BBQ favorite but recipes for any cut are welcome here.

Re: Premium rib joints

Postby Tiny » 19 Sep 2012, 16:22

Sounds top nourishing, also sounded like it was purchased from the supermarket so can we have vendor and price please.....

Meed to christen the new white Weber Sunday and this could fit the bill, slow offset and then seartastic........

Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby gazz_46 » 19 Sep 2012, 17:36

Tiny wrote:Sounds top nourishing, also sounded like it was purchased from the supermarket so can we have vendor and price please.....

Meed to christen the new white Weber Sunday and this could fit the bill, slow offset and then seartastic........

Cheers
Tiny

Tiny

They were in the reduced aisle of my local tesco and roughly between 10 & 12 quid each reduced from around 17
gazz_46
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby MH1927 » 13 Oct 2012, 15:01

I've been given a 1.6Kg Single Rib. But I'm not really sure how to cook it?

Reading this thread it looks like its going on the Weber OTP rather than ProQ, but has anyone got an idea on an approximate cooking time?
MH1927
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby keith157 » 14 Oct 2012, 08:35

If you haven't done so already get a decent meat thermometer, thermapens are on ebay allegedly reconditioned but all those I've seen have been as new or better.
For the last 15 years I've cooked meat, expecially beef to temp rather then time. In lieu of a thermometer use the pad of the hand test (check out youtube it's easier then trying to explain it) basically keep it "squishy" then over blazing hot coals as suggested

Sorry it's not a better description for "squishy" basically touch the little finger of one hand with it's thumb, then poke the pad of your thumb it should be soft and "squishy" then prod the beef when cooking. When the beef feels like the pad it should be rare then follow the advice earlier re searing.
keith157

Postby MH1927 » 14 Oct 2012, 10:46

I bought a Thermapen after seeing it here its useful for all sorts of things (Brewing, BBQing, etc)! Wouldn't be without one now.

Timings are just a guide so everything is ready together, its going to be the Meat component of Sunday Dinner
MH1927
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby gazz_46 » 15 Oct 2012, 22:18

MH1927 wrote:I've been given a 1.6Kg Single Rib. But I'm not really sure how to cook it?

Reading this thread it looks like its going on the Weber OTP rather than ProQ, but has anyone got an idea on an approximate cooking time?

Rhys

Sorry for late reply, 1st one I cooked on smoker to 160 internal temp and was well done, 2nd one I took Ed's advice from bunch of swines and pulled off the smoker at 124f then transferred to kettle and seared for a couple of mins each side and came out medium ....... Not a fan of very rare meat

You can get good results with either a dedicated smoker or a kettle BBQ and or a combination of both, internal temp, look & feel is the key rather than time... Something I have learned since coming to this forum
gazz_46
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Previous

Return to Beef