Found 'Cured Salt Beef Brisket' in Costco today

Good old British Beef, you can't beat it! Of course Brisket is the American BBQ favorite but recipes for any cut are welcome here.

Found 'Cured Salt Beef Brisket' in Costco today

Postby chokethechicken » 18 Jul 2012, 16:37

I visited the Watford branch today and noticed these Briskets on sale for the first time. Not huge but a decent size - not sure if the 'cured salt' would affect flavour?

Price example 2.234kg = £24.55

(Ribs looked naff; they were in standard polystyrene trays and quite short. I last bought them vacuum packed at Milton Keynes and they were fine.)
chokethechicken
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Found 'Cured Salt Beef Brisket' in Costco today

Postby aris » 18 Jul 2012, 17:04

I think these are for making traditional salt beef and corned beef.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 19 Jul 2012, 04:59

Absolutely correct aris, and it seems to be quite pricey. According to 2 of the Costco reps at Grillstock you can order a whole boned brisket from the butchery dept with 48 hours notice, and if that's too big they will cut it to size for you.

Not exactly what the butchery dept at Watford said a couple of months back but maybe there are new guidleines.
keith157

Postby aris » 19 Jul 2012, 06:13

keith157 wrote:Absolutely correct aris, and it seems to be quite pricey. According to 2 of the Costco reps at Grillstock you can order a whole boned brisket from the butchery dept with 48 hours notice, and if that's too big they will cut it to size for you.

Not exactly what the butchery dept at Watford said a couple of months back but maybe there are new guidleines.

Hmm interesting! I've never seen any sort of brisket sold at Costco.

How much does a whole boned brisket weigh in at?
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Big_Fat_Dan » 19 Jul 2012, 06:54

I really need a Costco card, how does one apply? Or do you have to be someone special? :D
Big_Fat_Dan
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby London Irish » 19 Jul 2012, 06:58

aris wrote:
How much does a whole boned brisket weigh in at?

About 8-16lbs..
London Irish
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby chokethechicken » 19 Jul 2012, 07:07

keith157 wrote:Absolutely correct aris, and it seems to be quite pricey. According to 2 of the Costco reps at Grillstock you can order a whole boned brisket from the butchery dept with 48 hours notice, and if that's too big they will cut it to size for you.

That's great to know. Thanks.
chokethechicken
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 19 Jul 2012, 07:12

Big_Fat_Dan wrote:I really need a Costco card, how does one apply? Or do you have to be someone special? :D

It might be worth sending them an email, as they were offering membership at Grillstock to avid BBQers. Normally a company, charity or solicitor, emergency service worker and I believe armed forces. Although it costs (£25 I think) it's a bit more fllexible than Bookers (unless someone knows the easy way into there?) where they apparantly only accept registered companies or charities.
keith157

Postby aris » 19 Jul 2012, 07:32

keith157 wrote:
Big_Fat_Dan wrote:I really need a Costco card, how does one apply? Or do you have to be someone special? :D

It might be worth sending them an email, as they were offering membership at Grillstock to avid BBQers. Normally a company, charity or solicitor, emergency service worker and I believe armed forces. Although it costs (£25 I think) it's a bit more fllexible than Bookers (unless someone knows the easy way into there?) where they apparantly only accept registered companies or charities.

I've been a member at Costco since 1996 - i'm also a member at Booker.

Both are technically trade-only shops, but Costco have an extended criteria.

http://www.costco.co.uk/membership/

So either you are one of those groups - or you have a company - or the company you work for is registered with them which allows employees to become members (this was how I got membership may years ago).

With Booker - it is trade only. But of course what constitutes 'trade'? You can still be a sole trader or self employed. No need for a ltd company or anything. Just get onto a word processor, make up a letterhead, get a couple of business cards printed - and bobs your uncle. It is not difficult and booker do not charge a yearly fee. Technically, as far as booker are concerned, i'm a B&B :-) I'm thinking you might be able to do this with Costco too.

The nice thing about Costco is that your membership is worldwide. I've been to Costco stores in the US and used my card. Quite handy. Likewise, the UK Costco is crawling with Americans all the time. They sell a fair few US items - like Jiffy peanut butter, and sometimes even some BBQ sauces (Yoshidas comes to mind). The one annoying thing about Costco is that many of the products there are very transient - you see them one week, they are gone the next, either never to come back, or only come back next year.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Big_Fat_Dan » 19 Jul 2012, 08:08

aris wrote:
keith157 wrote:

I've been a member at Costco since 1996 - i'm also a member at Booker.

Both are technically trade-only shops, but Costco have an extended criteria.

http://www.costco.co.uk/membership/

So either you are one of those groups - or you have a company - or the company you work for is registered with them which allows employees to become members (this was how I got membership may years ago).

With Booker - it is trade only. But of course what constitutes 'trade'? You can still be a sole trader or self employed. No need for a ltd company or anything. Just get onto a word processor, make up a letterhead, get a couple of business cards printed - and bobs your uncle. It is not difficult and booker do not charge a yearly fee. Technically, as far as booker are concerned, i'm a B&B :-) I'm thinking you might be able to do this with Costco too.

The nice thing about Costco is that your membership is worldwide. I've been to Costco stores in the US and used my card. Quite handy. Likewise, the UK Costco is crawling with Americans all the time. They sell a fair few US items - like Jiffy peanut butter, and sometimes even some BBQ sauces (Yoshidas comes to mind). The one annoying thing about Costco is that many of the products there are very transient - you see them one week, they are gone the next, either never to come back, or only come back next year.

Thanks for the info aris, i nicked my in-laws bookers card, they have three key fobs which allows me to get in there, but i have been to the Thurrock Costo, and i was like a kid in a candy store, i need a card!!!
Big_Fat_Dan
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Beef