Two different burger recipes

Good old British Beef, you can't beat it! Of course Brisket is the American BBQ favorite but recipes for any cut are welcome here.

Two different burger recipes

Postby KamadoSimon » 16 Jul 2012, 08:25

I posted about our standard burger recipe here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1840&hilit=+burger#p14992

Really like these, but decided to try a couple of variations yesterday.

First of all, I added Fish Sauce to the meat mix to give a little more umami as per this blog post: http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/vi ... er-recipe/

Variation 1 (Umami burger):
Original mix but with the addition of 1 tablespoon of fish sauce into 0.25Kg of beef. A little more than the post above recommends, but I think it'll work.

Variation 2 (Moink Burger?!):
Substitute 100% beef for a 70/30 beef & bacon mix. Most things taste better with bacon right?!

Variation 3 (Brisket mix burger):
As per 1 but with some of the Wicked Good brisket mix added to the beef.

We cooked & ate variations 2 & 3 last night, with variation 1 into the freezer for use another day.

Have to say, both of them were a really great change on the basic formula. Variation 3 came out tasting quite Moroccan. Variation 2 didn't have the distinct bacon flavour you would have expected - but it definitely changed the taste & I think for the better - so will try this again. Next time I will grind the bacon rather than simply chop - just got to buy that grinder now...

And next time, I'll take some photographs.... opps.
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Two different burger recipes

Postby aris » 16 Jul 2012, 08:35

Call me a purist - but the best burgers are made with the best quality beef - and a bit of salt - nothing else :-)
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Two different burger recipes

Postby KamadoSimon » 16 Jul 2012, 08:46

aris wrote:Call me a purist - but the best burgers are made with the best quality beef - and a bit of salt - nothing else :-)

Variety is the spice of life an all that! ;-)

100% beef is what we started with. As you'll see in the original post I linked to, we then added pre-cooked onion & garlic - that's a really nice addition. But you have to pre-cook it.

But I am going to have to disagree with you having tried the ones with the bacon mixed in. They were seriously good. I normally have two burgers for an evening meal - we don't make 'em huge. But I would have happily had another last night.

I think I'd like to do a side by side comparison of the standard mix & the standard mix plus fish sauce. If it accentuates, rather than changes, the beef flavour, then that would be a great improvement on standard beef mix.
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Beef