A first time Dexter Tri Tip

Good old British Beef, you can't beat it! Of course Brisket is the American BBQ favorite but recipes for any cut are welcome here.

A first time Dexter Tri Tip

Postby Minesamojito » 22 Apr 2012, 20:50

I remember hearing about a Tri Tip a while ago from the BBQ legend Dr Sweetsmoke, he’d mentioned this as one of his favourite cuts to pop on the BBQ, I’d been after this cut for a while, but it’s not an easy one to get hold of, blank looks from butchers, but fortunately I put in a bit of research and was able to advise my good friends at Pitmans Farm what the exact cut I was after is known as the bottom sirloin, it’s a traingular cut and I can now attest to it being very very tasty.

I removed a few bits of sinew, and then rubbed a homemade rub of cajun seasoning, smoked paprika, celery powder, onion powder, mustard powder, salt and coarse ground pepper. I rubbed this mix in thoroughly and left for a couple of hours.

I fired up the smoker set at 110 deg C with some maple chips smoking away. I popped the Tri Tip on until it reached 50 deg C over indirect heat. Then I placed direct over coals, to sear the outside of the meat and the internal temperature reached 60 deg, just about medium rare. I allowed the meat to rest wrapped in foil, and then carved against the grain, it was wonderfully moist, and rich and beefy, the meat was so tender as it was cooked perfectly and carved against the grain.

We enjoyed this with BBQ chicken thighs, homemade coleslaw, sweet potato wedges, and homemade bread, oh and a cold beer of course!
Cheers
Marcus
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: A first time Dexter Tri Tip

Postby BigM » 22 Apr 2012, 21:38

Looks so nice and juice
I've also been looking for this cut of beef Too.
BigM
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JEC » 23 Apr 2012, 04:32

Good job, well worth percerviering with your butcher, took me a few trips with pictures etc... to get one, nice to see a bit of Dexter too, whilst I'm not in to cows I do quite like Dexters. I was lucky enough to get mine from a Devon Ruby Red
JEC

Postby KamadoSimon » 23 Apr 2012, 08:59

That looks soooo good - may try and get this for the roast this coming Sunday.....
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby joker smoker » 23 Apr 2012, 17:58

nice looking chicken too! :D
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Minesamojito » 24 Apr 2012, 13:06

Cheers guys, appreciate your replies, hoping this rain will cleaR through, got this lot plated up sunday just as the mother of all rain storms hit, great timing.
Cheers
Marcus
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Beef