3 inch sirloin grill

Good old British Beef, you can't beat it! Of course Brisket is the American BBQ favorite but recipes for any cut are welcome here.

3 inch sirloin grill

Postby KamadoSimon » 26 Mar 2012, 10:55

Have done this a number of times & whilst a little expensive for the cut of meat, you can feed a fair number of people with it plus left overs. I did it for the first time (with rump rather than sirloin) for a valentines meal this year & it was wonderful. Being as it was just the two of us (!), we had left overs for a good few lunches that week.

The basic method is:

get the grill up to a high temperature (500-700F for me on the KJ);
    sear for around 1-2 minutes on each side;
    seal the grill & let the meat cook for between 20 & 40 minutes in the residual heat. I'm using a Kamado Joe, so I am still seeing around 400F when I take it off & somewhere around 30 minutes is giving us just over rare.
    Let it rest for 20 minutes or so in foil & wrapped in a tea-towel.

I am still experimenting with this technique a little - sometimes I am having to put the beef back on the heat for a bit as it is coming out a little too under for our tastes. But once done you get the wonderful charcoal-grilled outer half a cm or so - which also then gets a good smoking once the grill is sealed up for the residual heat cook. The inside is really moist & tender as the final photograph shows.

Last night's meat was left on for 1 to 2 minutes each side at between 500 & 600F & then 20 minutes in the residual heat. This was too rare for us (actually it was blue in the middle!) so we put it back on for another 10 minutes in the residual heat. This gave us a perfect rare meat to our tastes. Not all of the fat rendered on the main fat side of the meat, so in hindsight I think I would have given it a little longer on the high heat just on that side. But to be honest that would just be for additional flavour as I don't eat the fat.

Some pictures from last night's grill:

KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: 3 inch sirloin grill

Postby keith157 » 26 Mar 2012, 11:08

Looks REALLY good, great work!!
keith157

Postby Minesamojito » 26 Mar 2012, 15:54

That looks great, sirloin is such a great joint to cook on a BBQ.
Have you got a digital thermometer? I'd say it was pretty much vital for cooking like this, that way you'd be able to pull the meat off the BBQ the way you want it cooked. You can pick a basic one pretty cheaply for about 20 quid.
Cheers
Marcus
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby KamadoSimon » 26 Mar 2012, 17:26

Hi - yeh, it did taste gooood! :lol:

I just been asking about the wireless thermometers - think that might well be my next purchase. The simple probe one we have means we have to keep opening the cover on the KJ which I don't want to do in a cook like this as it lets so much heat out.

One more toy for the list....
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby nick9one1 » 29 Mar 2012, 18:58

This is what I use,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kitchenware-T ... 522wt_1166

You can leave the probe in the meat and the wire is pretty this so you dont have to worry about having the lid open much. You can also set an alarm to beep at a certain temp.
Although I agree that a completely wireless one would be better.
nick9one1
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby keith157 » 30 Mar 2012, 05:20

I wouldn't stick it to the BBQ with the magnet though, it would get a tad hotter than an oven door ;)
keith157

Return to Beef