Dirty Veal Steak……Dirty Meat no more.

Good old British Beef, you can't beat it! Of course Brisket is the American BBQ favorite but recipes for any cut are welcome here.

Dirty Veal Steak……Dirty Meat no more.

Postby Minesamojito » 12 Mar 2012, 23:16

Veal has until recent years been a dirty word in the world of meat. Veal calves kept in crates and poorly treated. But no longer, veal is set for huge growth, it’s just us consumers who need convincing that it is ok to eat now.

Rose veal is a world away from the veal of old, and is now positively encoraged by the RSPCA, the male dairy calves would otherwise be shot shortly after birth, but can now be enjoyed as a wonderful meat, guilt free.

I bought a couple of T-bone Rose veal steaks from my local farmers market, and cooked them “Dirty” straight on the coals in my wood fired oven, this is such a good way to cook steaks, as it chars them quickly on the outside, and gives a lovely crisp smoky outside, while the inside can still be medium rare, a revelation.

We enjoyed this sprinkled with salt and pepper, and with a little salad while cooking our first pizza on the wood fired oven of the season.
Cheers
Marcus
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Dirty Veal Steak……Dirty Meat no more.

Postby keith157 » 13 Mar 2012, 06:13

Nice pics and couldn't agree more about Rose Veal. If you've a farmer's market so much the better ir is still a very expensive deal buying small quantities through a butcher.
keith157

Postby Minesamojito » 13 Mar 2012, 09:00

Yes I could see it being more expensive in a butcher as they don't get much call for it, hopefully this will change.
The rose veal I got was so good, and I know high welfare.
I have some friends going into production, but theirs won't be ready until september.
Cheers
Marcus
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 13 Mar 2012, 09:31

The problem with my butcher is, as with most, he has to buy a significant quantity, a whole box at least to get a reasonable price and I'm the only one who has asked for it.
keith157

Return to Beef