Warhorse Short Ribs

Good old British Beef, you can't beat it! Of course Brisket is the American BBQ favorite but recipes for any cut are welcome here.

Re: Warhorse Short Ribs

Postby Diggin' On Swine » 08 Mar 2012, 23:12

Hi guys,

Pretty sure Ancho's are just dried, as far as I'm aware the only smoked chillis are Chipotles. If you are looking for something with loads of flavour but not much heat then Mulato and Pasilla chillis are also very good - combined with the ancho they are sometimes known as the 'mexican holy trinity'. Whenever I've used them before I've usually toasted and then reconstituted them in hot water before blending and adding to food - lots of liquorice, chocolate and tobacco notes! I did recently add a powdered version to a rib rub and it went down very well.

If you want something with a little more heat then chipotles are the next step up, with the bonus of a smoky flavour. Most common are Morita which are fairly quickly smoked jalapenos; harder to find are Meco which are still Jalapenos but smoked slowly for approx 3-4 days over wood fires - visually they resemble a cigar butt but the flavour is exceptional.

Not sure if I'm aloud to post links to businesses but theres a guy in brighton called Pete who does a huge range of chillis and sauces! I've bought from him before at a good price with superb quality.

Cheers
Neil
Diggin' On Swine
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 09 Mar 2012, 06:22

Thanks Neil, I don't think there are too many problems with posting links to useful resources. Also I'm off to Brighton in the near future ;)
keith157

Postby Steve » 09 Mar 2012, 08:47

Hey Neil it's fine to post links.

Our rules basically try to prevent people from joining, posting to promote their own product and contributing nothing else.

I'm going to Brighton next week so would love to see the link.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Diggin' On Swine » 09 Mar 2012, 13:06

The link is http://www.chillipepperpete.com/ - A chillihead's paradise! Huge range of chillis and related products.
Diggin' On Swine
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby catnip » 09 Mar 2012, 15:56

Diggin' On Swine wrote:The link is http://www.chillipepperpete.com/ - A chillihead's paradise! Huge range of chillis and related products.

Oh they have new mexico red, been after that for some time now :) thank you :)
catnip
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Minesamojito » 10 Mar 2012, 06:28

I'm not sure ancho are smoked, but I always pop a couple on the smoker, when i'm cold smoking, as I like them extra smoky.
Cheers
Marcus
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby musicville » 06 May 2012, 14:15

just to clear the chilli Q's up ...

Ancho chille's are poblano chillis that have been dried out quite thick skin and v tasty, and chipotle is a jalapeno that has been smoked &dried !
musicville
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Previous

Return to Beef