Beef Ribs

Good old British Beef, you can't beat it! Of course Brisket is the American BBQ favorite but recipes for any cut are welcome here.

Beef Ribs

Postby Toby » 12 Feb 2012, 08:52

A few weeks ago, got hold of some beef ribs, more for the fact my daughter wanted to cook something with me. I have always said to her and the kids Q competitors to ignore your parents and choose ingredients that you like the smell and taste of.

I went for the normal mustard soak, which was as expected. My daughter still wont tell me what she used but they blew mine away!!

Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Beef Ribs

Postby keith157 » 12 Feb 2012, 10:21

Look nice, I take it they were kind of the "baby back ribs" from the top part of the fore/wing rib, rather than the flank or "spare-rib"? Ignorance is bliss and I'm very happy :D
keith157

Postby Minesamojito » 12 Feb 2012, 10:46

Look fantastic, and great getting the kids involved in real food.
Cheers
Marcus
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Toby » 12 Feb 2012, 11:59

These were the jacobs ladder, but I cut them to about 6" long. i have some others which are much meatier, have to get the exact details from my butcher which i will pass on.
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby keith157 » 12 Feb 2012, 13:45

Much obliged, it's often a problem trying to explain "colonial terms" for cuts of meat to my butcher. ;)
keith157

Postby martincarbin » 19 Mar 2012, 08:41

Guys

What temp to you cook short ribs to? I did short ribs saturday and pulled then at 185F, I'd read on amazingribs.com it's best to pull them between 180-190F. They weren't great rather chewy to be truthful the missus wasn't impressed.
martincarbin
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BigG » 19 Mar 2012, 09:27

How quickly did you cook them? I did some a while back and smoked them slowly at 200F for over 5 hours until the meat had pulled back from the ends of the ribs 1/2 inch or so, I wrapped mine in foil with a basting sauce for the second half of that cooking time, took them off when they reached 190F and left them resting for an hour, mine just fell apart leaving clean bones.

G
BigG
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 19 Mar 2012, 09:56

Seems like a good theme for another DVD
keith157

Postby martincarbin » 19 Mar 2012, 10:53

I smoked them for 5 1/2 hrs at 250F over oak and rested them for 20 minutes, they had pulled back from the bone by a good inch. The meat was from Jamie Oliver's butchers barbecoa so it should be good quality. The rub was a simple cumin,coriander, paprika, chile powder, black pepper & salt & frenchies mustard. The lid went down on the Kamado and was only lifted once the temp hit 185F, I prefer not to foil as I can't be doing with the hassle of it ( too lazy) and on that Diners, drive ins & dives programme none of the bbq joints foil.

It's the first time I've done them and I was seriously disappointed. Maybe I just don't like them

By the way what sauce do you guys use on beef if any ?
martincarbin
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Swindon_Ed » 19 Mar 2012, 11:26

You need to start using foil when you're cooking as it helps the meat cook in the BBQ without it drying out. Comercial cookers that you see people using on DDD are very different to home cookers.

When i've cooked beef ribs, before foiling them they've looked like little dry rocks on bones, try foiling them after 4hrs adding some beef stock in with the ribs for an hour and then finish them off for the last hour without the foil as this will make the ribs more tender.

I know BigG has also comented about resting them. Once you've cooked them how long are you allowing them to rest? Resting them in foil and wrapped in a towl for an hour or 2 will keep them hot and improve the texture of the meat.

Finally are you taking the membrain off the back of the ribs before you cook them?
Swindon_Ed

Next

Return to Beef