Never done brisket

Good old British Beef, you can't beat it! Of course Brisket is the American BBQ favorite but recipes for any cut are welcome here.

Never done brisket

Postby nickdel » 21 Jul 2011, 12:55

I've never smoked a brisket and want to do so this summer.
Could anyone answer these few questions I have.
1. what's the smallest size that should be used
2. What's the calculation for lb/min and at what temp
3. Should you ever foil the meat
4. What about injecting.
5. Is there a generally accepted method from rub to carving board

Thanks in anticipation

Nick
nickdel
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Never done brisket

Postby Curlie028 » 21 Jul 2011, 14:51

Not the expert you need but have done two since I got the WSM about 5 or 6 weeks ago.
First I thought was ok but then with the continual learning programme on here the second was great and the first relegated to very poor.
Mine was I think 2.5kg.
I gave it a rub and placed it in a foil tray.
Set the WSM to 210/220 and let it do its thing.
It stalled at 150F, so I was advised to wrap in foil and when it eventually broke through again it quickly rose to 185.
I double wrapped in foil, then in a couple of towels and placed in a cool box for 2 further hours.
My attempt at your questions.
1. Was adviced that my small 2.5kg would benefit from sitting in its own juices in the foil tray. Sorry don't know what size the smallest is and what size one becomes big enough to skip the foil tray.
2. Smoking brisket at 220F should take 1.25hrs per pound but two of my biggest learnings in calculating when to start a smoke is to a) add 2 hours and b) pay more attention to the internal temp of the victim. In brisket's case for slicing that would be 180F
3. I was told to foil if time was the essence when it stalls but it will reduce the bark
4. Don't know about injecting, haven't reached that yet
5. I will back away from this one and leave it to the experts

Not a full bank of answers but I hope it helps.
Curlie028
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby jotch » 21 Jul 2011, 15:33

A whole brisket, point and flat will usually weigh in at about 5kg...10-11lbs.

I've not actually cooked one yet, but I'll be trimming down the fat cap to about 1/4". Then I'll be rubbing a very basic salt and pepper rub on it so I can get the actual flavour of the smoked meat before using a fancy rub that will enhance the flavour next time....should help with any experimentation I'll do later in the year with briskets.

As for the length of time taken cooking at about 230 deg F in my WSM, I'll just monitor the internal temperature until it hits about 185 deg F...about 1 1/2 hours per lb, I hope. I'll probably baste the meat in apple juice or something similar at the midpoints.

Rest for at least 30mins wrapped in foil in a warm place...as per usual and then carve the flat, pull the point or go for burnt ends by cooking for just a little bit longer with some bbq sauce or something.

I'll let you know how all this went after the 20th August when I'm planning on cooking a load of meats for my friends and family.
jotch
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Swindon_Ed » 21 Jul 2011, 16:56

This is what i normally do with my briskets. I normally cook the whole thing but it should be the same for cooking smaller parts.

I trim all of the fat off, inject it with beef stock or something else simillar, apply your rub.

Set your smoker to 225f or as near to it you can. Once it is stable at this temp' add you brisket and then add half of your wood, leave for 45 min's to an hour and then add the other half of your wood and keep an eye on the temp' as you can get spikes when the wood starts to burn which you want to control as much as you can.

Leave it alone untill the brisket hit's 150f and then wrap in foil and pour in half a bottle of beer and put back on the smoker untill the internal temp' of the Brisket hits 190f check for tenderness and go upto 200f if needed.

Once done, pull from the smoker leaving it in the foil and wrap in a clean town to place in a cool box to rest for 2 hours.

Once rested unwrap from the foil and keep the juices. When carving brisket, you want to carve across the grain as this will make it easier to chew. When serving i normally dip the slices of brisket in the juices before putting them on the plate.
Swindon_Ed

Postby nickdel » 22 Jul 2011, 09:07

Thanks all

This has been most helpful

Sunday is going to be brisket day ;)
nickdel
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby nickdel » 22 Jul 2011, 09:09

I'll let you know how it goes and post a few piccies - if all goes well :lol:
nickdel
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby nickdel » 22 Jul 2011, 09:17

Another thought has just popped into my mind.
Once rubbed (Any suggestions for a rub?) how long should I let it sit in the fridge - overnight?
nickdel
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby jotch » 22 Jul 2011, 13:41

Google is your friend in these circumstances...and of course personal taste, but a quick search returned a nice basic rub...you could add some cayenne pepper for a bit of heat.

1/8 cup salt
1/8 cup black pepper
1/8 cup paprika
1 TBSP granulated garlic
1 tsp dry mustard

No real timing on the rub, but overnight would be sufficient.
jotch
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby dronfield BBQ Ranch » 22 Jul 2011, 14:27

jotch wrote:Google is your friend in these circumstances...and of course personal taste, but a quick search returned a nice basic rub...you could add some cayenne pepper for a bit of heat.

1/8 cup salt
1/8 cup black pepper
1/8 cup paprika 1 TBSP granulated garlic
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp Accent (MSG)

No real timing on the rub, but overnight would be sufficient.

This was ok until the MSG bit, :evil: sorry am not in fav of this stuff as it is a food taste enhancer not a meat enhancer, i firmly belive that the cuts of meat used for low n slow have masses of flavour without enhancers, spices yes to give the meat a twist in taste, it's like using preservatives in food 'why' just to make it last longer, ok it's a pain to do bits but when something takes hours and hours to cook you need to do something else to do, i know :idea: make fresh relish or sauses n stuff.

Sorry but i have been cooking for many years and not used MSG, try the above without it, you prob will not taste any dif.
These are just my thoughts.

:)
dronfield BBQ Ranch
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Swindon_Ed » 22 Jul 2011, 21:21

Try this one:

3 tablespoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons table salt
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons chili (con carne) powder
1 teaspoon cayenne powder

Normally i will rub my brisket about an hour before putting it on the smoker as i don't feel that leaving a rub on for longer makes much difference.
Swindon_Ed

Next

Return to Beef