First Shoulder

Selection of Pork Recipes

Re: First Shoulder

Postby All Weather Griller » 08 May 2011, 17:14

It's stalled, they do it. Hold on and it will get up there. Stall periods vary on size and collegians, it means it's getting to that soft and tender, pulls like a charm stage.

Hang in there through the stall period.
All Weather Griller

Postby LM600 » 08 May 2011, 20:41

They say that patience is a virtue, I say I'm not very virtuous!!! :lol:

Anyway...Yeah, they do this - seem to get stuck at xxx° for a while and then recover...I know it's a bit of a cheat but I have started to cook mine the day before...just in case of the stall and then not being able to feed my victims at a reasonable hour - and once cooked, pull and re heat in the smoker in a pan with a little AJ and covered with tin foil
LM600

Postby dajamjar » 08 May 2011, 22:56

Took 21 hours all in to reach the magic 200F, i'll get some pictures up soon, right now i am just trying to find out where to store this mountain of pork as my guests has departed by the time it was ready to eat.
dajamjar
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby The Social Smokers » 02 Nov 2011, 15:19

For my pulled pork i allow roughly 2 hours cooking time per lb of shoulder at 200-220F and it works a charm for me. I try and buy a 6lb shoulder to allow me to do a 12 hour smoke. Usually from 6am - 6pm. In the ProQ i find temp holds nicely. I can go away for 6 hours and the temp won't even budge, it will just stick at 220F. I find Supagrill cocoshell briquettes the business for slow smoking.

After a 12 hour smoke I usually wrap my pork in 2 layers of foil, then into a towel and into the cool box for an hour minimum rest. I find doing this makes all the difference.

Hope you found some of this useful for next time.
The Social Smokers
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Previous

Return to Pork