Wicked Good Pulled Pork recipe

Selection of Pork Recipes

Wicked Good Pulled Pork recipe

Postby KamadoSimon » 23 Jul 2012, 08:59

I opted for a slightly different cook process than Wicked Good suggests. They cook for 250F constant - foiling after the bark has formed to hit around 195F after around 9 hours or so for a 4kg shoulder.

Mine was a bone-in 5Kg pork shoulder, but I cooked it considerably longer even taking the extra weight into account - it went on at 11.45pm on Saturday night & eventually came off at 3.45pm Sunday. A nice 16 hour cook ;-)

Why? Simply because I know I get really good moist results from pork shoulders that way on my Kamado Joe. So I went for:

- 225F through the night until 6.30am (I was sooo happy my little one got me up at that time - not!);
- Ramped to 250F until the meat hit 165F;
- Basted with the Wicked Good BBQ sauce recipe & then ramped to 350F for a couple of hours to form the bark;
- Foiled the meat & left it at 350F until it hit 195F internal at which point I tested it and a skewer slide straight in without any resistance;
- Placed the meat in a oven pan, poured some warmed BBQ sauce over the top, foiled & left in the oven for 1.5 hours or so.

I reduced some of the heat from the rub recipe - I like a little heat but I had my parents for dinner & know that it wouldn't have gone down well with them.

Result?

- best BBQ pork I have had to-date. Moist as expected, despite the very flavourful injection, rub & sauce - you could still taste the pork;
- nice bit of apple smoke from the bark;
- I think I could simply drink their BBQ sauce - just delicious. Which is just as well, as their recipe makes 3-times the amount you need for one cook like this!
- The bark was amazing - not tough as old boots, chip your teeth bark. Just a nice bit of crunchiness with some much great flavour going on.

Overall:

- If you like your pork meat on the sweet side, you are going to love this recipe.

So, with the brisket & this pork recipe stacking up so well, I think these two alone were worth the purchase of that book.

On the Kamado Joe, ready to come off after a 16 hour cook:

The bark after foiling & resting for 1.5 hours:

Two full plates of loveliness:

As an aside, the Kamado Joe went on at 11pm on the Saturday night to come up to temperature, and I was still cooking on it at a steady 300F at 8pm the following night - given the amount of charcoal left I decided to do a quick high temperature burn (500F) to clean the grate & then I roasted some whole heads of garlic for use during the week. I am pretty sure it would have gone more than 24 hours on one load of charcoal at a steady 225/250F - a combination of great charcoal (Big K AC15) the Pitmaster controller as well as the Kamado Joe. Cool stuff!
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Wicked Good Pulled Pork recipe

Postby London Irish » 23 Jul 2012, 10:01

Love your work Simon!!!!

BUT(T) you could have waited till lunchtime to post this....mouth watering and unable to concentrate on work!!!!!

;)
London Irish
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Big_Fat_Dan » 23 Jul 2012, 12:29

Looks amazing Simon, really amazing.
I was literally drooling at that.

what's the deal with this Pitmaster Controller then? Heard it mentioned many times, but still don't know what it is.
Big_Fat_Dan
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby KamadoSimon » 23 Jul 2012, 13:05

Cheers both - it was lovely - just had some cold in rolls with some more of that sauce for lunch. Happy days. Need to freeze some now or I'll eat the rest for dinner!

The Pitmaster controller is this one: http://pitmasteriq.com/ Basically it monitors the temperature of your WSM / Kamado etc and forces air in if the temperature drops below your set temp. A cheaper simpler version of the Stocker and others you may have seen mentioned on here. Works a treat - whilst the Kamado is pretty good at maintaining temperature once you have it dialed in, this is even more efficient & gives you even more confidence just leaving it overnight to do its thing.
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Big_Fat_Dan » 23 Jul 2012, 13:26

That sounds like a handy gadget to have, doubt that will work on my offset smoker thou :(
Big_Fat_Dan
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby KamadoSimon » 23 Jul 2012, 13:46

Hi Dan - it would work in terms of supplying air - assuming you could devise a method of attaching it to your offset. But how efficient it would be will depend on how air-tight the offset is in the first place. If you can manage long cooks on it already without topping it up, that would suggest it is pretty air tight & thus you could use it. Not an essential - but then I like me gadgets.... lol
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby The Social Smokers » 13 Aug 2012, 09:27

We did this recipe on the weekend. It turned out really well. Great flavour profile going on. This was just before i wrapped them and put them back on the smoker!

Sorry about the image rotation, photobucket is playing silly buggers.
The Social Smokers
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Pork