My First Rib Smoke

Selection of Pork Recipes

My First Rib Smoke

Postby Big_Fat_Dan » 23 Jun 2012, 08:36

Last night (despite the crappy weather) i tried my first rib smoke, I used Meathead's Memphis Dust recipe, and rubbed 24 hours in advance.
So I fired up my Landmann Tennessee smoker and got it up to 200f, I had problems keeping this temp as my bbq is poorly made, once i throw some cherry wood on, the smoke was pouring out everywhere, my lid is bent and there is a gaping whole where the fire box joins the main chamber so I will have to modify for my next smoke, anyway, after about a hour and a few phone calls i managed to get a steady temp and i was finally up and running. so after 5 hours we had some nice smokey ribs, the flavour and taste was great, a little on the tough side, well i say tough, the meat didnt fall off the bone as i had hoped, but hey, for my first time at smoking, i was pretty pleased with my efforts ;)

Image Image

Big_Fat_Dan
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: My First Rib Smoke

Postby KamadoSimon » 23 Jun 2012, 14:05

Looks nice! Did you foil them at all? This, with a little liquid, helps make them more tender.
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby speakerwizard » 23 Jun 2012, 15:06

yum. they look good. I have some on right now :P
speakerwizard
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Davy » 23 Jun 2012, 23:56

Looks good Dan, your not too far from me. Where did you get the baby backs ? Im waiting on a response from a local butcher after I sent them a detailed description on baby backs.
Davy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby KamadoSimon » 24 Jun 2012, 06:00

Davy wrote:Looks good Dan, your not too far from me. Where did you get the baby backs ? Im waiting on a response from a local butcher after I sent them a detailed description on baby backs.

UK butchers may know them as loin ribs. But if you say that babybacks are from the spine side as opposed to prime ribs from the belly side, that's all the explanation they should need. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Simon
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Big_Fat_Dan » 24 Jun 2012, 09:04

Davy wrote:Looks good Dan, your not too far from me. Where did you get the baby backs ? Im waiting on a response from a local butcher after I sent them a detailed description on baby backs.

Alright Davy, I got them from Crouch's they operate out if Rickwoods at Bearsted. I just asked for baby backs and they knew what I meant, worked out about £13 for two racks.
Big_Fat_Dan
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Big_Fat_Dan » 26 Jun 2012, 08:44

KamadoSimon wrote:Looks nice! Did you foil them at all? This, with a little liquid, helps make them more tender.

I wrapped them, but only with maple syrup and a little more rub, i shall use apple juice next time.
Big_Fat_Dan
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Minesamojito » 05 Jul 2012, 13:06

wow, those ribs look awesome dude, and with christ on a bike too....
great photos too mate
Cheers
Marcus
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Big_Fat_Dan » 06 Jul 2012, 06:45

cheer Marcus.

Marcus, have you placed your order for his new one? HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, as you could imagine, it's bloody hot.
Big_Fat_Dan
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 06 Jul 2012, 10:10

I'm awaiting a delivery of HMOG. As you can imagine I'm quite excited to try it but also a little scared :lol:
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Pork