Chorizo Stuffed Pork Tenderloin

Selection of Pork Recipes

Chorizo Stuffed Pork Tenderloin

Postby Chris__M » 23 Aug 2011, 13:07

Not so much a recipe, as a simple idea.

I had a pork tenderloin in my fridge that needed to be used. I also had a couple of chorizo sausages and a pack of streaky bacon. So I simply cut along the length of the tenderloin, inserted the chorizo, then closed the tenderloin and wrapped it in streaky, before throwing it on the Traeger with some other stuff that needed using up.

Preparation time: less than 10 mins. Smoking time: 3 hours.

Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Chorizo Stuffed Pork Tenderloin

Postby clairbare » 24 Aug 2011, 06:17

Nice - did the meat dry out a little??
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Chris__M » 24 Aug 2011, 10:51

The meat is tender, but is not dry at all.

I cook tenderloin a lot (in the kitchen), and usually cook it quicker at a higher (oven) temp, so was concerned about this when trying with the smoker. However, each time I have cooked it, I have wrapped in bacon (although this was the first time I have stuffed it), and that seems to keep it nice and moist.

Note that I have only ever smoked this to eat cold later - and this may be another factor. At some time, I will smoke one and carve it hot (after resting, of course) to see what it is like that way.

The only problem with it is that I lack the willpower to stop cutting chunks off whenever I visit the fridge!
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby esselle » 14 Feb 2012, 10:10

Just stumbled on this thread because I couldn't resist picking up a loin on offer at Makro. Only thing is I have never cooked one before and thought I would have a look through the site for a recipe before asking in a new thread. I'm glad I did I love loin and bacon and chorizo so thanks for putting this on. I will be giving this a go sometime this week.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby esselle » 14 Feb 2012, 10:14

Just a quick question... if I smoke at 230 what temp do i want my loin to be before its pulled done and pulled off to rest?
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Chris__M » 14 Feb 2012, 11:07

Tenderloin is a lean meat that doesn't need much cooking at all.

I'd say that you want to cook until an internal temp of about 155-160 F. Don't forget to measure the temp of both the meat and the chorizo.

Cooking at 230 will get you there quite quickly - I use my traeger's "smoke" setting, which is about 180, hence the longer cooking time.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steve » 14 Feb 2012, 12:58

I cook a lot of tenderloins, Chris is spot on with the temps, 160-165 id the safer end of the spectrum, 155 is the tastier end :D

Might be better to start off lower, around 200, if you want to get some smoke in there, then the heat up. If possible finish over direct heat as this gives you a lovely finish to the bacon.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby esselle » 14 Feb 2012, 13:17

Thanks both ...Steve how long at 200 and if I ramped it up to 230 how long roughly there?
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steve » 14 Feb 2012, 15:59

For a regular sized one, you can go about 1.5 to 2 hours on 200 and it will be up at 120 to 130 ish. What I'd do is take it off at that point and ramp to 275+ then it'll finish quickly. Or 2 and a bit hours on 200 taking it to about 140-145 then a hot finish over direct heat.

I like to crisp the bacon up when I wrap things that way.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Pork