Broke my Bacon Cherry...

Selection of Pork Recipes

Broke my Bacon Cherry...

Postby LM600 » 23 Jun 2011, 12:02

Well, I got me some Supracure and a pork loin last Friday.

Come 09:00 the same day she was weighed, rinsed and dried off.
The cure was weighed out at 5% weight of cure to weight of meat.

Approx. half of this cure was rubbed into meat (forgot to grab some thin rubber gloves so raided Mrs LM's hair colour boxes....) - all over inc. any folds, flaps or loose bits (the meat not the hair box things)

This was then put into a lidded Tupperware with another lid placed underneath so it was slightly elevated in the fridge.

Next day, Saturday, I took the tupperware out of the fridge and drained a fair amount of liquid out and re rubbed the meat with a bit of cure then put it back it back in the fridge - I repeated this until the cure ran out.
(each day the liquid was less and less until nothing)

I then left the Tupperware in the fridge (just left it alone, no peeking, poking or other molestation) until midday today (23.06.11) where I removed the meat and gave it a good washing under the cold tap and then a good drying with a clean tea towel.

Then, it went onto a baking pan with a raised grill so air could circulate around the meat and it's back in the fridge until about 20:00 tomorrow (24.06.11) so it can dry out properly and the pellicle can form.

It will then go on the E20 overnight with a load of oak dust in the CSG.

I'd like to then leave it until Sunday (26.06.11) to allow the smoke flavour to develop and relax with the meat....but this won't happen for two reasons -

1) I'm a greedy S*d
2) I have to go into work and check some release processes in the AM

Anyhoo, here are some pics of it "As Is" ie; green - I'll post more once it's been smoked.....Enjoy!

LM600

Re: Broke my Bacon Cherry...

Postby LM600 » 25 Jun 2011, 20:23

And here it is after 10hrs of cold smoke...and some oven action!

(Pics taken on a rubbish phone cam. - it turned out a nice, deep, dark pinky, red, golden colour in real life)
LM600

Postby Curlie028 » 25 Jun 2011, 20:47

Looks great!
Curlie028
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby nickdel » 19 Jul 2011, 08:28

I wanna do this

Where did you get the cure from and what did you smoke it in
nickdel
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby LM600 » 20 Jul 2011, 18:28

Hi Nickdel,

I got the cure from hotsmoked and you use it at 5% cure per weight of meat.

After it had cured and had a day in the fridge for the pellicle to form I put it on my Pro Q Excel 20 with the cold smoke generator and left it overnight with oak dust smouldering away.

In fact I have 2.84kgs sitting in the fridge ready to go on the smoker tomorrow night, I'm going to give these three runs of smoke - each time overnight.

If you want to give it a go just follow my steps in the orig. post and you'll be fine but feel free to ask any Q's if you want :D
LM600

Postby nickdel » 21 Jul 2011, 09:59

Thanks for that.
What time of year did you do it as i believe the summer months can be too warm for cold smoking
nickdel
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby LM600 » 21 Jul 2011, 19:19

Hey, No worries Dude!

I have the couple of lumps of pork loin, cured and rested on the smoker now...although it is pretty cool out there. If we get the heatwave hitting the US soon then I'll probably fashion some kind of coolbox smoker....
LM600

Return to Pork