Hello!

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Hello!

Postby Jammyg » 24 Apr 2017, 11:15

Hi all,

I have had a gas BBQ up to now but decided earlier this year that I want to start cooking with charcoal. After some (alot) of researched I went for the Weber Premium One Touch 57cm. Initially only planned to do direct grilling of burgers/kebabs the usual boring stuff, unaware really of what can be done with it.

Again, a lot of research and watching you tube and seen how things can be slow cooked, I first attempted a 3KG pork shoulder planning to take 8 hours. Managed to keep a steady 250-275F easy enough, but got caught out with the cook times. I let down my BBQ guests as it took more like 14 hours to get to 200F internal temp. Impressed with the results though and can't wait to do more.

Probably will try some ribs next, maybe some more pork. Anything cheap really to get used to it.
Since buying the kettle, I also opted for the Weber charcoal baskets, and various other accessories. I have also modified, very hesitantly) the kettle itself to allow me to run the temperature probes inside the BBQ rather than trapping them under the lid. I'll add pics when I get them uploaded somewhere!. Can go into more detail if anyone's interested.

Aldo added some firebricks as it is a bit easier than trailing foil for blocking the direct heat.
Jammyg
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to Introduce Yourself