Hi all.

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Hi all.

Postby Steveob1980 » 30 Nov 2016, 12:16

My name is Steve I'm 37 and from Barnsley in South Yorkshire. I took an intrest in Smoking meat from watching Man Vs Food and Diners Drive Ins and Dives and went out and bought some books on BBQ and also from viewing forums and websites such as this.
I am awaiting the delivery of my WSM 22 inch which I got for £366 from the Riverside Garden Centre and can't wait to get started when the weather pics up.
I also like watching videos on YouTube from T Roy cooks and Louisiana Cajun Recipes. I would like to ask a few questions which hopefully people on here could answer.
What would be the best thing to do for my first cook after I've seasoned the smoker? I was thinking something small to start with such as chicken wings or full chicken to start with just a feel of how the smoker works but T Roy cooks told me to do a brisket or pork shoulder for my first cook?
What are the best fuels to use which you can buy in the UK? I notice that most folk in the USA use Kingsford and swear by it but can you not buy Kingsford in the UK? Also which are the best BBQ suppliers to buy my rubs, sauces and marinades from over here?
I've noticed that Webber do a Rottisere which you can fit to the large kettle grills, will this not fit into the large WSM so you can do roasted joints on the smoker like you can on the Pro Q? Riverside garden centre told me you can't use the Rottisere on the WSM as the lid won't shut properly? Or has anyone modified their WSM so the Rottisere fits? Thanks to anyone/everyone who can answer my questions and sorry for rambling on a bit :) Steve.
Steveob1980
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Hi all.

Postby Tiny » 10 Dec 2016, 18:33

Steve, welcome.

Trouble with chicken is you need to cook hotter or you risk rubbery skin, no reason not to do it as it is fantastic but you will be looking to run a little hotter and this could be tricky in a big WSM in the winter in the north. Ribs are reasonably easy and you can get these done in 4 hours so again an easy start, Pork shoulders take a little longer but provided you are patient usually yield great results.

In terms of fuel Heat beads and Weber briquettes if you like a bricquette, big K is favoured for lumpwood.

You have a great bit of kit so provided you have time all should be good,
Cheers Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steveob1980 » 11 Dec 2016, 18:57

Thanks for the answers mate. I don't think I'm going to set it up until around April or May time and do my first cook on it. I think I'll jump in at the deep end and start with a pork shoulder after all you have to learn somewhere don't you ;)
Steveob1980
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby derekmiller » 12 Dec 2016, 13:26

Completely agree with Tiny.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 27 Dec 2016, 10:03

Steveob1980 wrote:Thanks for the answers mate. I don't think I'm going to set it up until around April or May time and do my first cook on it. I think I'll jump in at the deep end and start with a pork shoulder after all you have to learn somewhere don't you ;)

the beauty of a WSM is you can cook year round - doing a 12lb pork butt tonight for serving tomorrow evening :P
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Introduce Yourself