Hello from Germany

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Hello from Germany

Postby sloman » 03 May 2011, 09:52

Hello ali,

My name is Larry and I am currently in Nürnberg Germany. I am an American and split my time between Pismo Beach Ca. and Nürnberg which is where my wife is from. I want to thank Chris_M for sending me the link to this site as I have been visiting and enjoying it the last few days. My current bbq of choice is a pellet grill from Green Mountain Grills, the Danial Boone model. I also have a Kenwood gasser and a small Weber Kettle, but they do not get used much as I am pretty lazy and the Dan Boone is just so easy. I hope to find an affordable solution to get a pellet grill over here, but will have make do witha tiny little gasser the wife bought me last year. I have been barbequing for over 40 years, but am certainly no expert and look forward to some new ideas from you guys... Thanks for letting me join Larry (aka) Sloman
sloman
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Hello from Germany

Postby All Weather Griller » 03 May 2011, 10:00

Welcome to the forum Sloman,

I'm there is a few pellet grills available in Germany, have you tried Traeger or Louisianna Grills, not sure what Cook Shack do in Europe perhaps toby has some pointers.

here are some links I found but you may have already seen these.

http://www.pellet-grill.eu/
http://www.louisiana-grills.fr/

All the best

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby sloman » 03 May 2011, 16:14

Thanks Adie

Thanks for the links and, Oh yes, there seems to be plenty of pellet grills available over here now, but they are really expensive. When I left Germany to go back to California in November, I could not find a single match on a google search for pellet grills or smokers. Now I get about 3 pages, many of them repeats, but still a lot. The problem is they cost about 2 1/2 to 3 times as much as in the states. As I am usually only here about half the year, over 1000€ plus delivery is a lot to pay for a bbq. I have seen sevaral different retailers for Memphis, Louisiana. and Treager, since I returned and saw one for Cookshack and Fast Eddy while still in the states, but can't seem to find it now. Thanks again, Sloman (aka) Larry
sloman
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby LM600 » 06 May 2011, 17:57

Hey Larry,

Wilkommen - wie gehts? Nurnburger wurst are some of my favourite snags!

Not sure about the pellet situation in Germany but here in the UK pretty much anything that is not 'standard' bbq (ie garden centre tat!) is freaking expensive (compared to the US prices)
LM600

Postby sloman » 07 May 2011, 12:07

Thanks LM600

Yes, I also love our little Brats, my favorite finger food, literally. I like to throw a 12 pack on the grill whenever I bbq and just munch on them while I wait for the main course to finish.. Here the pellets seem a little cheaper and the grills a little more. Both quite a bit more than in the states.. Probably have to wait till my next visit in the fall I'm afraid...
sloman
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby esselle » 08 May 2011, 15:51

Hi Larry and welcome to the forum.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby sloman » 24 May 2011, 10:21

Thanks Doc and esselle, sorry for the slow reponse but I have been on vacation in Greece and Turkey the last couple of weeks. I had planned to go to Gronau to the championships as we were planning a vacation in Scotland that would have returned us to Germany on the 17th. Then the wife found this deal on the Cruise and it didn't get us home till the 20th, which was just to late. Hope to hit something while I am here though and also am planning on the Royalle when I return to the States. Cheers, Sloman
sloman
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Introduce Yourself