Another Torquay Smoker

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Another Torquay Smoker

Postby Blockers » 26 Feb 2011, 10:41

Hi Guys
Im Rob living in Torquay

Currently have a pro Q smoker, had it for about 3 years.

Please with it but really have trouble getting the temp over 200. It seems you guys
have no problem at all. Am i using wrong charcoal, i dont know. Would be good to get some tips
for increasing temp. Today would be good lol, got a Pork shoulder on the go and the Ribs have just gone
on.

Cheers

Rob
Blockers
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Another Torquay Smoker

Postby All Weather Griller » 26 Feb 2011, 12:00

http://www.bbbqs.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=320&hilit=clay+saucer#p1560

don't look back.

Welcome to the forum!

All the best

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby Blockers » 26 Feb 2011, 12:46

Cheers Adie

A really interesting method, im off down B&Q Garden centre

Rob
Blockers
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby All Weather Griller » 26 Feb 2011, 12:57

Good luck!
;)
All Weather Griller

Postby Swindon_Ed » 26 Feb 2011, 15:50

One other bit to think about is the thermometer in the lid of the ProQ isn't very accurate even when you've calibrated it. Using my digitals it shows the lid can be 20-30 deg' f off. So if your lid is showing 200 you’re probably at the temps you want.

That being said i use a clay saucer and the control that it gives you in controlling your temp's is amazing compared to using water in the pan.
Swindon_Ed

Postby clairbare » 26 Feb 2011, 17:05

Having just purchased a Maverick, I can also back up the fact the thermometer on the Pro-q is likely to be out - ours is out even though I calibrated it (although I am pretty crap at doing anything technical :lol: )

We have smoked a number of times and are still trying to work out the temps :? think it will come with time! We were going really well today - maintaining a good temp consistently until it started to tip it own with rain.

Not sure if you posted elsewhere but we find keeping ALL vents open and as the temps go up to 225 ish we close fully 2 vents and half or more close the third vent.

Hope that helps
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Steve » 26 Feb 2011, 18:18

Welcome on board. As others have said, forget the thermometers on the lid of the Pro Q. Even after calibration they still wander off very quickly. I calibrated mine to alongside my Redicheck and it's now nearly 50 degrees off. Unfortunately it seems that many manufacturers put cheap thermos as standard. I'd rather they left them off and left us to buy a Tel-tru separately.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby All Weather Griller » 26 Feb 2011, 18:22

How's has it gone Rob?
All Weather Griller

Return to Introduce Yourself