Hi from Torquay

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Hi from Torquay

Postby josh18t » 07 Feb 2011, 19:25

Hi guys I'm a bbq newbie.

I'm trying to build my own smoker at the moment, and hoping to get cooking next week :)
josh18t
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Hi from Torquay

Postby All Weather Griller » 07 Feb 2011, 19:34

Welcome, welcome.

Sounds like an interesting project you have going there. What kind of smoker are you building.

Do you have any pics? (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4)

Regards

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby josh18t » 07 Feb 2011, 19:46

It's a drum smoker (mounted horizontally) with a firebox underneath made from a medium sized gas canister. I plan on making it reverse flow as well, as i have a fair bit of mild steel sheet laying around. I'll try and get some pic's up but its my first attempt at welding so its not looking very pretty :)

I've gotta get rid of the smell from the drum badly though as it came from wrigley's and stinks of mint flavouring.
josh18t
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 07 Feb 2011, 19:50

Minty pork :lol:

Can't wait to see the pictures, sounds like an interesting project.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby All Weather Griller » 07 Feb 2011, 19:54

Hey do your first few cooks with Lamb. No one will know any different :lol:

Pretty smokers don't always cook well. We'd appreciate glimse regardless of her cosmetics. There are no BBQ Snobs here :D

Sounds like an interesting project with a underslung firebox, will you be feeding the heat from the box into one particular side or the other to make it a reverse flow?
All Weather Griller

Postby josh18t » 07 Feb 2011, 20:46

I plan on having the firebox exhaust going into the same side of the exhaust of the oil drum. I want to try and get the temperature as consistent as possible throughout the cooking chamber, from one end to the other. Here's a picture so far.

josh18t
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 07 Feb 2011, 20:56

That's looking pretty sweet. There are few people on here that are veritable authorities on offsets so perhaps one or two may be able to give you a few pointers on the baffle plates that you may need to help even out your cooking chamber.

I know John did some interesting stuff to one of his by making adjustable baffles.
All Weather Griller

Postby Steve » 07 Feb 2011, 21:02

Looks cool, I'm no offset expert but I think that you will need to do some stuff with baffles and tuning plates.

Have you ever seen the designs for the double-barelled smoker made from two drums. As you've already got into welding drums, it might be an idea for a future project :)
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby josh18t » 07 Feb 2011, 21:11

Yeah I've seen the double drums. Think it may have to be a project for the summer :)

Sorry but what do you mean by baffles?

Is it much harder to smoke around this time of year, as in maintaining or getting up to temperature?
josh18t
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby josh18t » 07 Feb 2011, 23:57

Thanks for that will be nice to get some pointers.

Im going to get started on the firebox at some point tomorrow so I'll try and get some pics up when I have it all assembled in the next couple of days.

Can anyone recommend a good high temperature sealant that is safe to use in a smoker? Just to go over some of my more shocking welds.
josh18t
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself