Hello - From Woking!

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Hello - From Woking!

Postby Darge » 01 Apr 2016, 14:58

Hi guys,

I've been a member of the Facebook group for about a year now, although I don't use FB too much so thought I'd join here as I can have the site open at work & it's easier to keep up to date with the conversations!

I've been BBQ'ing properlyfor about 3 years now & have a Weber kettle & smokey mountain (47cm / 18.5")

Currently investigating getting a CyberQ system, as i'd like to do a brisket but am terrified of screwing up such an expensive bit of meat! Any thoughts / suggestions on these types of systems are much appreciated! I like the convenience for when it's not always possible to sit at the bbq for 12+ hours straight. However they do feel a bit like cheating....

-Adam
Darge
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Hello - From Woking!

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 09 Apr 2016, 08:43

Hey Darge
Done a few briskets in my wsm 47 and they turned out awesome. I would try that before investing in something else. Make sure you have probes and take off at right temp. Read up on amazing ribs website..I follow that for brisket religiously.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Darge » 21 Apr 2016, 15:53

Thanks for the advice - will do!

I tried a cheap Brisket the other week - just a rolled one from a Supermarket, and that ended up quite well. I'm doing a boston butt this weekend, maybe soon it's time for my first usda brisket!
Darge
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby GingerBen » 22 Apr 2016, 14:03

Darge wrote:Thanks for the advice - will do!

I tried a cheap Brisket the other week - just a rolled one from a Supermarket, and that ended up quite well. I'm doing a boston butt this weekend, maybe soon it's time for my first usda brisket!

Picked up my first USDA brisket from Smithfield market on Tuesday, it looks a beast. Can't wait to get it going. Hope yous turns out well too!
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby ScottishSmoker » 23 Apr 2016, 12:21

Welcome to the forum Darge.

Question on brisket differences gents. How do supermarket or cheap butcher briskets compare to USDA, Australian or Uruguyan briskets? Is it mainly the fat marbling or other?
ScottishSmoker
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby MisplacedAmerican » 23 Apr 2016, 21:45

ScottishSmoker wrote:Welcome to the forum Darge.

Question on brisket differences gents. How do supermarket or cheap butcher briskets compare to USDA, Australian or Uruguyan briskets? Is it mainly the fat marbling or other?

I can't comment on the Uruguyan or Australian versions but I grew up with the USDA version. They definitely have a different texture. Not sure if the texture difference is because they are raised primarily on corn and farm feed vs grass but the texture is much more tender (almost pulls apart regardless of how you cook it). The meat as a general rule is also more marbled throughout than I have seen outside of Argentina. Taste wise, it is like eating a different meat altogether (similar to deer vs. antelope, elk or moose - if that makes any sense). When I have friends over from the US, they definitely notice it, while I only notice a difference when it is an exceptionally good cut from the US (guessing because I have been here so long).

Here is a good description of the different grades "http://blog.fooducate.com/2013/11/12/what-do-usda-beef-grades-prime-choice-select-actually-mean/"

Regardless, low and slow is the trick - let the marble melt into the meat and if you don't have an electric meat thermometer, get one since, if you're lookin', you ain't cookin'
MisplacedAmerican
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby ScottishSmoker » 25 Apr 2016, 18:33

Thanks misplaced american, makes sense. also found short youtube video explaining difference between prime, choice, select etc. however unfortunately the british (online)butchers in the UK don't state what grade, just that it's USDA brisket ie. "Taken from the breast section beneath the first five ribs, behind the foreshank, these USDA Briskets have been marbled to perfection and noted for their deliciously brilliant flavours." For 5.1 kg they charge £63 pounds, I still find that quite a lot (for a cheaper meat). Having said that, it's no use only smoking the cheapest, leanest cuts as you don't get the right taste / flavour / tenderness.

Cheers anycow :lol:

PS. yes I now have a remote ET-73 Maverick thermometer
ScottishSmoker
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby MisplacedAmerican » 27 Apr 2016, 18:31

ScottishSmoker wrote:Thanks misplaced american, makes sense. also found short youtube video explaining difference between prime, choice, select etc. however unfortunately the british (online)butchers in the UK don't state what grade, just that it's USDA brisket ie. "Taken from the breast section beneath the first five ribs, behind the foreshank, these USDA Briskets have been marbled to perfection and noted for their deliciously brilliant flavours." For 5.1 kg they charge £63 pounds, I still find that quite a lot (for a cheaper meat). Having said that, it's no use only smoking the cheapest, leanest cuts as you don't get the right taste / flavour / tenderness.

Cheers anycow :lol:

PS. yes I now have a remote ET-73 Maverick thermometer

Hello From Woking,

When we BBQed brisket back home it was because it was the cheapest thing we could get and that was because if it wasn't done right, it was as tough as shoe leather. I've checked with friends back home and it is still the cheapest cut there is and I am amazed that it gets such a premium over here (granted most things here come with a premium price tag). I do think that a better cut (as for marbling) will be better but for Brisket, the preparation and cooking times may make as big or bigger difference.

Enjoy!

Buddy
MisplacedAmerican
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to Introduce Yourself