mobile oven and bbq

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

mobile oven and bbq

Postby degs » 30 Dec 2010, 17:45

Hi everyone just starting to get into real fire cooking and hopefully set up a mobile catering business for events markets ect the compitions look really good as well my grand plan is to build a wood fired oven on a trailer these are normally made of fire brick but i will probably do mine in stainless steel and refactory castable to with stand the riggers of the road and also put a bbq next to it this means i can offer wood fired pizza from the oven and burgers sausages etc from the bbq any thoughts and advice on this type of project would be gratefuly received one of my concerns is that as i plan to build all the eqiupment my self would i be allowed to use it at events ect
regards degs
degs
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: mobile oven and bbq

Postby All Weather Griller » 30 Dec 2010, 18:24

I personally can't see any reason why not. There are some caterers on here that have built their own smokers so I would wait for one of those to respond.

I am importing a cooker from the states and when i spoke to our environmental health they just said "call us when it's here and we'll come and inspect it"

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby degs » 30 Dec 2010, 20:03

thanks adie thats incouraging would like to get cracking with this project as soon as possible
degs
degs
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby degs » 04 Jan 2011, 09:05

Hi Doc thanks for all your advice thats great news knowing it can be done sorry i dont have any drawings as such only rough sketches but my thoughts are with having the oven and bbq fixed to a purpose built road trailer and to keep it as small as possible about 1.5m wide x 3m long with a covered area attached on the side for a prep area to give a total footprint of about 3m x 4m i can build all the stainless prep tables with the fridge ,sinks . bain marie etc built into them all on wheels so i can just roll all the equipment out of the van and get set up as quick as possible though combined weight of the trailer is going to be about a ton mostly from the oven which is why i think it has to stay on a trailer but theres no way round that as i have to make it stronge for the road, good point about the leaf springs, the oven will have a 6mm stainless steel plate inner chamber 800mm wide x 900mm deep and barrel vault shape covered in refactory concrete then insulation and a final stucco render finish the whole thing will sit in a steel frame which is attached to the back of the trailer the bbq will sit at the front of the trailer and i will need some advice on best design from you experts on this but i like the idea of those american rigs with the smoker box on it i will post pictures on here as things progress derek
degs
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby degs » 07 Jan 2011, 17:45

had not considered reversing oven on trailer but that could work better weight distribution was always a proplem with this i believe your ment to have 7 % of total weight on the tongue i was always going to have the oven on the side but its intresting what you say about pitch prices depth v frontage if i can work both oven and bbq from one side only then the trailer can sit at the back of the pitch and have only a 3m frontage x 4m deep instead of the other way round good point about the smoker great idea what would you say is an ideal size grill i was thinking of about 800-900 wide x 500-600 deep also did not quite understand what you meant about being parked up against traffic
cheers derek
degs
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby All Weather Griller » 07 Jan 2011, 18:55

Hi Degs,

FWIW I have been a tower for many years with caravans and trailers and have always found that the nose weight recommendation varies between organisations. In fact at one point the information on direct gov and the caravan club sites varied quite considerably.

Apparently there are legal safe limits and recommended limits. I beleive nose weights may vary depending on the kerb weight of the vehicle. I personally would double check this on the direct.gov website then you can play with the weight when you have a rolling chassis.

Probably teaching you to suck eggs with this one but bear in mind that in the UK any trailer over 750kg must be fitted with brakes. Not sure if this is unladed or laden

Also I think if I was building from scratch I might be tempted to put a proper axle on.

cheers

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby degs » 09 Jan 2011, 15:12

Hi Adie the total gross weight of my trailer is going to end up at around one ton so i will be fitting brakes as standard but as for nose weights for my van its 75 kilo max so the 7 % rule wont be far out but i will do the fine detail on balancing when i get all the equipment made but its all going to be well within my max tow limit of 2 ton gross as for suspension i was originally going to use indespension units but as the doc pointed out leaf springs might be better for a softer ride , the key will be to match either system to the final weight as i dont want to loose the lot at the first road hump lol
Hi Doc cheers i understand now about the traffic thing on the size its about 32 inch wide x 22 inch deep
degs
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby All Weather Griller » 09 Jan 2011, 16:31

Doc,

The rigs are all built like that so from a UK perspective it's quite handy, obviously in the US it would be offside. I think we can choose which side the body access door is, but I just accepted it "as was" on the serving side. I also ordered a spare Corvette wheel as I assumed they would be hard to come by here. Not gonna mount it, just keep it in the car.

I have electric brakes on this one, I spoke with DVLA and asked if there was any stipulation on the inertia braking system and the guy there said it just needs to be braked. So Jamie Geer switched the axle for me to braked hubs. He couldn't believe it, asking for brakes on something like that. They don't have to have brakes until it gets up to 3000lb.

By law in the UK I should have yellow indicators, but I will just pay the fine and carry a trailer board. I'm not putting UK lights on my American Pit. No Way!!!

Thanks for the compliment, I am reliably informed that it should be finished for the end of next week, then Jamie Geer will complete the chrome and stainless detailing.
All Weather Griller

Postby All Weather Griller » 10 Jan 2011, 14:22

Always handy to have options Al,

Thanks, it's appreciated.

Beerz

Adie
All Weather Griller

Return to Introduce Yourself