Hello from South Wales

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Hello from South Wales

Postby aspinallkate » 10 Dec 2010, 10:53

Hello everyone! I'm Kate.

I've been inspired to have a go at BBQ and smoking beacause of Man V Food and Triple D!

I've got a ProQ Frontier as my xmas pressie, where's the best place for supplies? I need to get a decent thermometer but I don't want to break the bank, some charcoal and wood chips or chunks. I would also like to get a rib rack and a beer can chicken stand. Is there anything I am missing?

I can't wait to get started but I will have to wait until after Christmas :evil:

Forgot to mention a chimney starter and ProQ Hickory chips came with it.

Kate
aspinallkate
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Hello from South Wales

Postby Swindon_Ed » 10 Dec 2010, 14:11

Hi Kate,

Welcome to the forum.

With BBQ supplies stores i find myself buying from all over the place just to find the exact thing that i'm looking for at a particular time.

For a thermometer i'd say you can't go wrong with a Maverick ET-73 as this will do both you smoker and meat temp's. You can get them for about £50.

For charcoal most people on here will get it from a local cash & carry and get resturant grade lump wood charcoal, so if you've not got a card you might need to sweet talk a friend that does. If you can't which i can't from time to time i find myself trawling the garden centers (but be cafefull if they've been leaving them outside over winter) or i've found my local Go Outdoors store keeps loads of lumpwood charcoal even over winter and it's all kept inside.

For the rib rack i got a weber one from www.bbqworld.co.uk and they also do beer can chicken holders (but i just use a beer can or a coke can with some holes in the side and they stand up fine like this). and i've been getting the weber smoking woods from here too. I think one of the site sponsors also has a constant supply of woods which are supposed to be good also.

Other than that get freindly with your local butcher, and have fun.

Thanks,

Ed
Swindon_Ed

Postby clairbare » 14 Dec 2010, 07:52

Hi Kate

Welcome to the forum, you will get lots of good tips and advice here, alwasy feel free to ask. Also remember to post pics of your cooks :)

Clair
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby aspinallkate » 14 Dec 2010, 11:36

Thanks guys, I can't wait to get started.

I'm having a little trouble finding any lumpwood charcoal, I've been to Costco, Bookers and a large local garden centre, none in stock. I will give the Go Outdoors a ring and ask if they have any. Can you recommend anywhere online to get it?

My first cook is probably going to be a chicken, what method should I use?

Kate
aspinallkate
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby British BBQ Society » 17 Dec 2010, 09:54

Hi Kate,

Welcome to the forum, I am suprised at bookers they normally keep pallets of charcoal in stock, have you asked if they are getting any more in? I know our local branch had problems with delivery due to the snow. As for the chicken, I would keep it simple for the first cook and get to know your Q, 1" of boiling wate in the pan, a little bit of wood (get to know the levels) most people over smoke their first cook and it comes out acrid due to too much smoke.

Give it a couple of hours but remember to check the meat temp to make sure its done, Let us know how it goes,

Cheers
Toby
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Introduce Yourself