New to BBQ'ing

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

New to BBQ'ing

Postby flying_chase » 01 Oct 2010, 19:59

Hi everyone!!

I'm a South African living in Letchworth. I've been lurking on this site, and others for a while now. I'm very keen on what we call 'braaing' down were I'm from, but also very interested in slow cooking.

I'm just at the beginning stages of building my own offset smoker/BBQ. I have managed to get a clean 55 gallon drum and two cylinders, a propane and a butane, for the smoke box.

I'm currently trying to get hold of either weld mesh or expanded steel for the grill and angle iron, pipe etc for the framework.

Does anyone have any advice for me on a good source. I've tried most of the local hardware and builders merchants around here without any luck.

Charles
flying_chase
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: New to BBQ'ing

Postby lakemirror » 02 Oct 2010, 04:55

Hello Charles from another transplant.

This is a great site full of helpful people. Unfortunately I can't help you with your search for parts for your new rig, but others here certainly should be able to steer you in the right direction.

I am unfamiliar with braaing....I'd like to hear more about it.

Tom
lakemirror
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby esselle » 02 Oct 2010, 18:56

Hi Charles,
Welcome aboard. I have a similar build in progress. I got my grills off eBay if that helps.
Scott.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby flying_chase » 02 Oct 2010, 19:04

Hi Tom

The word braai (plural braaie) is Afrikaans for "barbecue" or "roast". The word vleis is Afrikaans for "meat". So you would be invited over for a braai or braaivleis.

You could also be invited over for a "bring and braai", which is a casual occasion where family and friends are invited to someone's home and bring their own meat, salad, or side dish. Meats are the star of the South African braai. One of our family recipe books suggest that you should cater for a pound of meat per person. Meats typically include boerewors, sosaties, kebabs, marinated chicken, pork and lamb chops, steaks,etc. Fish and Lobster commonly called "crayfish" or kreef in Afrikaans, are also popular.

The other main part of the meal is pap, actually a thickened porridge, or the krummelpap ("crumb porridge"), traditionally eaten with the meat. Made from finely ground corn/maize, it may be eaten with a tomato and onion sauce, monkeygland sauce or the more spicy chakalaka at a braai.

Or you could be invited for a "dop en tjop" (dop being Afrikaans slang for an alcoholic drink, and "tjop" slang for a lambchop).

The slow cooking side in South Africa is actually potjiekos. This is a stew prepared over a fire in a traditional round, cast iron three legged pot, which is called the potjie. This is a very social occasion as the potjie will cook for 3 - 6 hours.

Hi DrSweetsmoke,
I'll give that a try, some of the other items I needed I actually got through freecycle. Which is helping to keep down the costs, but I was having no luck on the grill.

Cheers

Charles
flying_chase
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby flying_chase » 02 Oct 2010, 19:23

esselle wrote:Hi Charles,
Welcome aboard. I have a similar build in progress. I got my grills off eBay if that helps.
Scott.

Hi Scott,
do you have a seller that I can look up? Maybe, I'm just using the wrong search terms.

Thanks

Charles
flying_chase
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby esselle » 02 Oct 2010, 19:36

Hi Charles,
I am out at the minute but I will find it for you tomorrow.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby esselle » 04 Oct 2010, 10:12

Hi Charles,
I had my grill and hot plate from these people but you might find them cheaper somewhere
http://www.barrel-barbecue.co.uk/origin ... rbecue.htm

Cheers

Scott.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby flying_chase » 08 Oct 2010, 14:23

Hi Scott,

thanks for the link. I have also managed to find a local metal fabrication and welding shop nearby.

cheers
Charles
flying_chase
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby stickthekettleon » 08 Oct 2010, 19:42

Hi,

If my Dad is anything to go by he hoards just about anything. He owns an industrial boiler servicing company and always has the odd bit of steel plate or mesh plate lying around, if you have no luch with the welders place have a look online for any local industrial boiler service engineers, prety much everything you need to build an offset they'll probably have lying around.

Welcome to the forum.

Chris.
stickthekettleon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby flying_chase » 12 Nov 2010, 21:02

Hi Chris,
I managed to find a scrap dealer not to far away. Where I managed to get some rolled angle iron, flat plate etc. I also managed to get some 1" stainless steel weldmesh and an Aluminium table/cart to hold the smoker. He sold most of it to me as scrap metal. So the BBQ/smoker is well on the way now.

By the way if anyone is interested, my local LIdl is selling ostrich and sprinbok steaks.
flying_chase
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to Introduce Yourself