Extremely new to BBQ'ing

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Re: Extremely new to BBQ'ing

Postby All Weather Griller » 23 Sep 2010, 13:48

The only downside to going for an excel so soon, is that its a bit low for grilling. You would need to sit it on something to get it to a decent height if you took the top two stacks off for Wings or fish over high heat. Unless Clair kept the little kettle for that job then its a win.

The versatility of the Excel is second to none and I loved the ones I had. I do sometimes miss many of the features. Knowing what I know now I think I should have kept at least one!
All Weather Griller

Postby clairbare » 23 Sep 2010, 15:02

So the excel would be great for smoking and keep the kettle for bangers and burgers :)
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby All Weather Griller » 23 Sep 2010, 15:14

Sounds like something I would do. Although don't rush out and buy one immediately make sure it's right for you. Like Chris says it's easy to spend other peoples money.

That said your Christmas Turkey will never be the same again!
All Weather Griller

Postby Mike_P_in_Tucson » 23 Sep 2010, 19:19

I will add my vote for the Excel20. It is very versatile, you can either grill or smoke. And it takes a lot less attention on long smokes than a kettle. As was mentioned, the only drawback is that, for grilling, it is a bit low. Maybe an enterprising soul here will be able to fabricate something that lets the bottom part of the E20 sit on top of the stackers for grilling.

But even when grilling, you can put veggies or sausages on a stacker above the grilling level, which keeps them from burning too much. That's how I cook corn on the cob.
Mike_P_in_Tucson

Postby MadCow » 24 Sep 2010, 08:43

Wouldn't recommend the gas option ... as you say, if you want to cook on gas, stay inside .. however you just won't get the real flavour of bbq on gas.
MadCow

Postby esselle » 24 Sep 2010, 17:51

Hello Clair and welcome to the forum. My vote would be with the excel too.
Scott.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself