Hey yall, over the pond from Texas

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Hey yall, over the pond from Texas

Postby manmeetsfire » 21 Sep 2010, 17:42

Hello everyone, My name is Tommy Im 26 from the home of smoke Dallas Texas . I moved over about 3 years ago to Lincoln with my wife. I have been BBQing since I can remember. with my dad. I started a lil smoker making venture in high school, which did great, and me and some friends created a BBQ competition team called "D-town young guns" , we did decent.I think this site is exactly what Ive been looking for. Ive been trying to find some smoke lovers over here in the UK but havent had much luck in my area. Im really big on smoking, currently rocking a home made barrel/box setup but looking to get a traeger for some laid back beer sundays in the yard with the family. If anyone knows where to find one that would be great. I love shareing what knowledge I have picked up and listining to other peoples strateges. I make my own sauces, rubs, liquid smoke and whisky wood chips. If anyone needs help making there own smoker I would be glad to help. Im glad I found this site and hope to really dig in into the Britian smoke scene. I would love to find a team someday agian or just get together with a nice group of beer/whisky drinking people with a love for good food good times and good BBQ.
manmeetsfire
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Hey yall, over the pond from Texas

Postby Steve » 21 Sep 2010, 17:50

Hey Tommy,

Welcome on board, good to have you on the forum. Look forward to seeing some pics of your smoking exploits and would love some good Texas recipes from you.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby All Weather Griller » 21 Sep 2010, 18:06

Hey Tommy,

Welcome to the forum, I'm just up the road from Lincoln in Worksop.

Look forward to your posts. If you're looking for a Traeger then ask for Jackie @ http://www.americanbbq.co.uk

You should come to one our comps, there are some beer loving, whiskey drinking BBQ fields at those!!

Cheers

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby manmeetsfire » 21 Sep 2010, 18:15

hey steve,
would love to swap some recipes. Im currently working on a new Coffee rub beer can chicken Im pretty excited about. I looked at yalls teams site. Looks like yall are doing some big things, and love seeing the desert recipes on the grill. Keep it up. I would love to see real grilling hit my neck of the woods (Lincoln). If you know of a group or some good resturants in my area or if anyone knows please let me know. Also do you happen to know where I can get my hands on a traeger over here, or anything that compares. I know a lot of pit bosses think it cheating or not real smoking. But how I look at it is if the average joe can get on a traeger and smoke like a beast then think about what a true smoke lover can do on it. Plus I need a more laid back setup then my current setup. Im thinking of building a true in ground pit this weekend and doing a pig for the family but havent decided yet. Would be a fun day and I know everyone would be nice, hungry, drunk and happy for the big reveal... which is always a good day.

Hey adie,
sounds awesome. I plan on hitting on comps whenever I can. I contacted that place a couple of times and have heard nothing back. Im just looking for a lil Tex elite or something similar, I see you are getting a Jambo pit sent over form my home town. Nothing better and looks gorgeous. Mad props man thats a serious grill there If you would like anyone to test it out I would be happy to lend my services haha!Are there any teams in my area? Nice to meet all yall and looking forward to really digging into the scene out here. And cant wait to get to one of the comps and get some good british beer and smoke in me.
manmeetsfire
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 21 Sep 2010, 18:32

Hey Tommy,

We have our family team Bite the Bullet BBQ www.bitethebulletbbq.co.uk and I know there is a guy on the forum that lives in Grantham and he has been expressing an interest in competing also, not sure if he has a team put together or not. The main problem for us up here is that all the comps are Southern based so we do need to travel, but by American standards the travel isn't so huge. You may have already worked out that our Butchers aren't so hot on the BBQ cuts i.e Butts, Briskets, Ribs etc and they are generally much smaller.

I have a Butcher that will deliver Beef to Lincoln depending on quantities, so if you're struggling let me know.

There are a few events that take place up north such as the Americana International Event in Newark - http://www.americana-international.co.uk/ but they have ignored all my mails about hosting a contest there.

The beer can chick rub sounds cool, there is likely to be a few people looking out for that one! As for American BBQ that is run and owned by Jackie Weight and she is in Egypt until Thursday. Its a small family run business, i think she posted here a week or so back explaining that if anyone needed anything before she went to let her know.

I'm sure if you contact her towards the back end of the week you will have better luck.
All Weather Griller

Postby Steve » 21 Sep 2010, 18:47

Hey Tommy,

I think Adie has shared some good info there. Jackie is the only Traeger supplier in the UK. Good news is she's a good one to deal with so we're lucky on that front. Customer service and aftercare is first rate.

I'm with you on the Pellet front, I don't think it's cheating and there's pros and cons to both pellets and charcoal. Got to admit I'm looking forward to having the Traeger for winter. I reckon it'll be spring before I use charcoal in anger again.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby lakemirror » 22 Sep 2010, 00:40

Hey, Tommy, another expat here. I'm from Florida, I've been coming over here for the last 12 years but just made the move permanent 2 weeks ago. I'm living in Bournemouth with my wife and our little girl.

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my WSM (along with all of our other stuff) which is supposed to be here this week but we haven't heard anything yet.

Look forward to maybe meeting you one day and sharing tales of transplanted yanks, although I don't know why they call us that because we're FROM THE SOUTH, DAMMIT! :D
lakemirror
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 22 Sep 2010, 05:54

No WSM yet?

I'd get on to that!!! We can send the boys round if need be... Lol
All Weather Griller

Postby lakemirror » 22 Sep 2010, 08:41

All Weather Griller wrote:No WSM yet?

I'd get on to that!!! We can send the boys round if need be... Lol

Might have to call on you for that special assistance.....calling the shipping company today! :evil:
lakemirror
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby manmeetsfire » 22 Sep 2010, 10:04

lakemirror wrote:Hey, Tommy, another expat here. I'm from Florida, I've been coming over here for the last 12 years but just made the move permanent 2 weeks ago. I'm living in Bournemouth with my wife and our little girl.

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my WSM (along with all of our other stuff) which is supposed to be here this week but we haven't heard anything yet.

Look forward to maybe meeting you one day and sharing tales of transplanted yanks, although I don't know why they call us that because we're FROM THE SOUTH, DAMMIT! :D

I really hated waiting for all my stuff to get over... especially the grill. At first I thought I would be able to come over and just buy one but couldnt find a good supplier around me and online they where way over priced. So I had my dad send over one I made a while back for small comps. Its just a barrel with a box I welded together in highschool. But it works pretty good and it was free from stuff in shop class from school. I had a WSM but gave it to a buddy of mine thinking I could pick one up for cheap over here... think I could ask for it back haha, I think Im going with a traeger for now and next summer build me a trailor rig and see if I cant get into some competitions. My wife is a chef and so is her cousin. Im sure we would have some fun. Nice to meet another expat, hope we can share some recipes. I do really like some Flordia BBQ.
manmeetsfire
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself